Sedalin quick reply please

Louby

Visit site
Just a quicky!!
Can my boy eat hay, feed etc while under the effects of sedalin. Our first attempts of walking him out after nearly 6 weeks cross tying have been scary and vet said if he isnt going to behave we cant risk him leaving the stable. He gave me sedalin to give it a go but I never asked about not allowing him feed afterwards.
Thanks

maestro

www.westonstud.co.uk
He should be fine, make sure he dosent eat before it works better one an empty stomach. I would just give him an hour after exercise mainly because he still will get excited just hopefully wont be able to do anything.

Sal_E

Visit site
Louby, I wouldn't let him eat whilst he's still dopey but he should be ok once he appears 'ok' (even though it will take a while longer for the effects to truely fully wear off).

Louby

Visit site
Thanks everyone.
I didnt dare risk him this morning as there was no 'moral support' on the yard. Im petrified he's going to fling himself about again like on our first attempts at a quiet 5 minute stroll! and I know its daft but I'd feel much better with someone else arround. So I think we will try it tomorrow. Its really difficult cos I want to do it whilst the other horses are in but that will mean me doing in crack of dawn then there will be no one about to help if god forbid anything goes wrong so I cant win either way. Cant get him on an empty stomach either as they are fed about 6.30 ish and hes on adlib haylage 24/7 to try and keep him occupied but morning would be better as at least he wont have been stuffing his face all day.
I was so looking forward to getting him out of the stable, poor boy but its turning out to be quite stressful.
Thanks again and Merry Christmas

Sal_E

Visit site
Good luck Louby - I had a similar situation years ago & it can be quite nerve-wracking. Certainly ensure you have someone there for moral support. Do ensure you take safety precautions yourself (hat/gloves) & could you lead out on a chiffney? Probably also an idea to have his favourite treat in your pocket (pref carrots!) so if he starts to get over-excited, you can bribe him - now is not the time to worry about training or discipline. I don't know what his injuries were, but it may be prudent to bandage all 4 legs & possibly use over-reach boots. You may also want to lead out on a lunge line, although if you think there's ANY chance he could break loose, the longer the line the worse the hazard of course.

Hope it goes well.

Caritas

Visit site
Mine had been on box rest for quite some time and was given sedalin daily for weeks and he was fine eating, i was concerned but vet said he would be ok and he was. It is totally different than being sadated by injection, good luck and happy new year xx

Louby

Visit site
He fractured his radius 6 weeks ago so one false move could mean it shattering. It is bandaged heavily but he has to behave. Leahurst said after 4 weeks box rest he can be walked in hand building it up to 30 mins twice a day as the blood supply would increase and help his fracture heal stronger.
I bought a chifney at weekend so will be giving it a go tomorrow. Hes not dragging me about just walking calmly then suddenly squeeling and bronking. God Im nervous
Thanks everyone

Skhosu

Visit site
I would be very wary, always been told to withold hay. Could you have two people walking him? If you feed him before you give it, then perhaps withold it for a while?
Good luck!
Was that really 6 weeks ago?

Louby

Visit site
Yes 6 weeks on Thursday, its flew hasnt it. Its getting hard now, I feel so so cruel. Jay is behaving brilliantly and has coped so much better than I thought although he has somehow managed to lie down on a few occasions cross tied??? Im hoping YO will be there to help me in the morning, Jay just plods along calm then explodes unexpectedly. Cant blame him really it must be awful being tied up 24/7.
I will be with him in the morning for a couple of hours so I wont let him have any hay just in case.
Thanks

Louby

Visit site
Todays walk was uneventful ... thank god. I gave the sedalin and 40 mins later he still looked very bright but it deffinately took the edge off him and he walked very calmly, mind you I think his mind was on the chifney, he was trying his best to get that off his tongue! I was so happy and relieved.
It was about 20 mins later that he looked dopey so I didnt give him his nets until I went and hes been fine.
Lets hope it wasnt a fluke like our first walk last week. Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
Thanks everyone