Sedating for feet trimming and dentist.

Groom Mum

Visit site
I've been lucky in that I've never had to sedate any of my horses for any procedure. Now with one of my rescues the rescue centre are recommending sedation for dentist and trimming feet. Can someone explain what it entails and as they live out should I keep an eye on him afterwards or maybe take him into his shelter. Thanks.

Pen

Visit site
When I've had any of mine sedated for dentist or sewing up wounds etc. they have been in an enclosed space on their own and then left there afterwards for an hour or so until the sedation wore off.

Orca

Visit site
I stay with them until I'm happy that they've returned to normal. Some are affected more than others and I've had to support more than one from going down. Some have a panicky fit as they come out of sedation and someone ought to be with them (or at least, nearby) through this too.

I would definitely take him in and keep him in until he has recovered :)

Bertolie

Visit site
I think it depends if you have the vet sedate intravenously or whether you are referring to something like sedalin. When I had the vet sedate my mare she had to stay in her stable without food until the sedation had worn off. The last couple of farrier visits I've used sedalin and vet has said its fine to have turn out or allow food straight away.

Orca

Visit site
I think it depends if you have the vet sedate intravenously or whether you are referring to something like sedalin. When I had the vet sedate my mare she had to stay in her stable without food until the sedation had worn off. The last couple of farrier visits I've used sedalin and vet has said its fine to have turn out or allow food straight away.

Very good point! Apologies, OP. I should have clarified that my post was in reference to IV sedation.

LD&S

Visit site
With all the worries associated with sedation have the rescue explained why they think it's a good idea? Is it something over time they think could be safely worked on?

Luckily I don't need mine sedated for either though a friend who keeps hers horses with mine has them sedated for their teeth (feet are fine). In order to sedate one of hers the mare ended up with almost double the usual amount but was fine within a very short time but her other horse really struggled to stay upright with less that the usual dose and was at least a couple of hours before she was anywhere near back to normal.