Sedation

£ per person per week (total bil divided by number of eaters)

• Total voters

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I have never used ACP, only sedation mine have been given is when the vet injects it.
Honey was sedated once to have her feet x rayed as she wouldn't stand still
Onyx was sedated to clip, you couldn't get near him with the clippers on let alone with them on. he would throw you against a wall if you tried to get a twitch on him. he had loads of sedative, he was that bad to clip

Thistle

Visit site
Mine have been sedated by the vet for particularly invasive treatment. Otherwise thay are all so good they stand quietly.

Comet had to have a small amount of sedalin every day for a week for turnout following an injury.

I have sedalin here if I needed it but would always phone vet to discuss it's use first. I also keep sedalin in the lorry.

Oaksflight

Visit site
Mine gets sedated for the vets. I give him sedalin 30 mins before so then they can inject him with sedatives so then they can give him his jabs and do his teeth. He's not exactly the best horse to inject.
crazy.gif

ru-fi-do

Visit site
The vet gave me sedalin for my mare when she had been on box rest for 6 months for the first time she went out, didn't really work though so wouldn't bother again. Then I had it for my shettie who has terrible sweet itch and needed clipping about 6 weeks ago to take the edge off him and worlked fantastic. The vet wasn't present but she did tell me what dosage to give.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Sorry - had to reassure myself that I wasn’t wrong in sedating for the fireworks!
Glad to know I am not the only one that sedates, though I do only do it under a vet’s advice…I would never have some handy ‘just in case’…but know people that do – I suppose it is up to the owner. Just very interested to see the results!

By the way FinnMcCoul did you know that Sedalin takes up to an hour to kick in so if your horse is going loopy in the lorry it probably wont have much of an effect on him – you have to give it to them and keep them quiet….and it doesn’t always work. Would hate for you to be in a dangerous situation on a lorry and have ineffective methods of accident prevention – though not sure what I would do, my horses are all very used to travelling and are well accustomed to my OH’s awful taste in music…its me that needs sedating!

Tia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Sorry - had to reassure myself that I wasn’t wrong in sedating for the fireworks!

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you now reassured? I can't see anyone saying that it is acceptable to sedate for fireworks
crazy.gif
?

I would never sedate for anything other than a veterinary procedure......certainly not for basic handling issues.

Agent XXX999

Visit site
I am reassured because I did it under the advice of my vet and with a prescribed dosage…he actually suggested it.
Incidentally, he is fine with bangs, so long as they are not fireworks going off above his head.
Said horse is fine to be clipped, shod, travelled, vaccinated, mucked out, ridden and competed he has manners and is not worried by most things. He stood in on box rest for months and came out with only a jog about. He is just sensitive and really panicky over the fireworks – and gets sedated on fireworks ‘weekend’ I wouldn’t call it a basic handling issue, more of a fear which is solved with the help and advice of my vet.

Tia

Visit site
Fair enough. It's up to you, it's your horse - I just wouldn't be happy having my horse stuck in a stable under sedation with no food or water for 8 or more hours.

It is odd though that all of us who leave our horses out on firework nights don't seem to have any trouble and I have done both with my guys as sometimes neighbours have set some fireworks off on other nights of the year. I haven't expected it so have left horses in their stables - on wandering up to make sure they are all right, they have been perfectly happy munching away on their hay and watching the pretty twinkly lights.

Perhaps an alternative could be to leave the horse outside on the nights you know fireworks will be going off? And then maybe your horse will become au fait with them.

GTs

Visit site
Only time either of my horses was sedated was when Stella had a tracheotomy - which seems fair enough. My expectation is only to sedate for procedures like this - for x-rays, scopes, etc I would not really want to do it.

I personally dislike the notion of sedating horses for fireworks or things like that!!

Agent XXX999

Visit site
Thank you thistle!

He did have water, and was checked regularly through the night.
nb my other horses are not sedated...and there is no way I am going to put a panicked horse out into a field to brake a leg!

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
t is odd though that all of us who leave our horses out on firework nights don't seem to have any trouble

[/ QUOTE ]

Must admit that this is what I do, we had fireworks all around us on friday, saturday and sunday nights - they were all calm, even the babies who probably took their lead from the grown-ups
grin.gif

emma69

Visit site
We always left both liveries and school horses out until after the fireworks - they always used to come in end of october until and obnoxious neighbour moved in and decided to have multiple fireworks displays (******) despite us asking very nicely if he could use the pretty lights one not the banger ones! The first year he moved there they started early evening, so there were enough liveries and people around to help get everything outside sharpish - apart from one chap who had broken his leg, so had to stay in his box - I ended up sleeping (ha ha, like I got sleep) in his box as he was lathered up beyond belief, stressed out of his mind, and I was terried he was going to colic on top of everything. The ones in the field, not at all bothered!