See I thought horse buying was supposed to be fun

coblets

Visit site
It's all fun and games saving ads until you actually start writing to them. Then the downhill spiral begins.

One owner wouldn’t let me try the horse, another horse went severely lame the day before I was due to meet it. Most people I write to have already sold the horse by the time I’ve seen the ad. Or it’s the right kind of horse but way over my budget. Then much-more-experienced-horsey-friend tested positive for COVID which makes trying another horse more difficult. And to top it off livery called yesterday to say that they no longer have the space available and refunded my deposit (so now I've got a new bike trailer and no use for it!). Trying to find another place but it’s proving pretty much impossible to find 24/7 turnout without very lush ryegrass. Beginning to think that retreating to my old comfort zone of part loaning may be the way to go.

Caol Ila

Visit site
Horse shopping sucks, which was why I had the ingenious idea, back in February, to buy a youngster from a reputable breeder. I thought it would be straightforward and save a lot of the faff and drama you get with private sales and dodgy dealers who haul boatloads of horses over from Ireland. LOL.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
It sounds like a bit of a nightmare tbh! I've some money set aside for my 'horse fund' but probably not quite enough for a solid budget. My plan is to just keep topping up the fund and hope the right horse miraculously ends up in my life somehow, and with an owner that would like to sell! Not sure how this will happen but for now have got my RS lessons and semi-regular hacks on a friend's horse so that will do me for now. If I weren't unsure about where I'm going to be located in 6 months' time I'd definitely be looking for another share.

Wishfilly

Visit site
It is awful and stressful for sure. And you haven't even got to the stage of failed vettings yet!

But when you find the right horse and fall in love, it is somehow all worthwhile.

Uliy

Visit site
Horse buying was one of the most stressful, upsetting and disappointing experiences ever and I nearly gave up by the time I went to see my mare! It took nearly a year, but that’s including Covid lockdowns.

just keep looking and the one will come along ☺️

Equi

Visit site
Yes it’s a pain but worth it in the end. The only really bad one I had I suppose was the one who asked that I pay for the physio to see the horse before I come to try it cause it’s a sore back and they were not willing to fix it if it’s being sold anyway ?? politely declined the offer for said 3k horse.

Bernster

Visit site
Agree, window shopping = fun. Actual horse shopping = less so. The angst of trying to work out if a horse is right, the stress of actually trying them out, the bonkers market right now which means they get snapped up before you get there, the angst of working through the vetting. And then the stress of settling in a new horse and getting to know them. Lawks why do we do it?! But we know why, cos when it works out, it’s the best fun ever. ?. I’m in the latter stage, and still in one piece, so fingers crossed!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
It can be fun. But I have had far more bad experiences than good. Amber was a lucky find but only after I was missold one in the first place. Scarlett, Dolly and Jenny were all word of mouth which I think is now the only way I would view.

Everytime I have braved the open market I have had nightmare after nightmare. I've had obese horses, lame horses, unrideable horses. Rude, delusional or dishonest sellers. Horses that were literally not even the horse I was meant to be viewing. I am fairly sure I have been miss-sold 2, 1 of which I did return (thank goodness) and the other I persevered with for 15 months before PTS. I only kept trying as I trusted the dealer but a lot more stories about that dealer have come out since then and about the pony I bought. And I have my doubts about another. It's ridiculous.

But good luck anyway! :D:D:D

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
Yes, I have to agree. When I was not looking I found several I wanted to buy. Now actively searching it's a nightmare. Need deep pockets or to sell a kidney IF you manage to find the elusive required animal. It's a battle to view too!

Keeping open mind and not having a narrow search list but still struggling. ?

Caol Ila

Visit site
Yes, I have to agree. When I was not looking I found several I wanted to buy. Now actively searching it's a nightmare. Need deep pockets or to sell a kidney IF you manage to find the elusive required animal. It's a battle to view too!

Keeping open mind and not having a narrow search list but still struggling. ?

Had the same experience. When I wasn’t wanting one, I saw some I’d happily buy for sane amounts of money.

DizzyDoughnut

Visit site
When I was just window shopping I'd see so many suitable horses but now I'm actually wanting to buy one there's hardly anything I like the look of any that I do like seem to be literally at the other end of the country or way out of my price range. I've never had to actively go out looking for a horse to buy before, I've always just seemed to somehow acquire them.

maya2008

Visit site
Horse shopping sucks, which was why I had the ingenious idea, back in February, to buy a youngster from a reputable breeder. I thought it would be straightforward and save a lot of the faff and drama you get with private sales and dodgy dealers who haul boatloads of horses over from Ireland. LOL.

I did the opposite in March (one off the boat from Ireland) - same result as you!

I'm Dun

Visit site
I've just bought one. He was the first one that appealed to me in budget and that I got "that" feeling from. Bought him unseen and unvetted. Hes a blumming superstar. Exactly what I wanted and better than expected. And it saved me a lot of hassle and stress. Sometimes the longer you look the harder it gets to bite the bullet and actually buy one.

No horse is perfect, I always buy them knowing I will need to do work to make them mine and get them doing what I want which I guess makes it easier for me. I'm not expecting perfection, just a nice sane, friendly horse.

In this market he would have sold on easily enough and his owner thought a lot of him and she would have taken him back had it not worked, so I took a punt and it paid off :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Differing opinions I know but I am always surprised at 'caring' owners who would sell unseen - Not that I ever sell but if I did I'd want to make sure the horse was going to someone who suited him not just someone who had cash readily available (I'm Dun - I'm sure your ideal but how would the sellers know that if you've not sat on him)
People often talk the talk but don't walk the walk !

Bought him unseen and unvetted. his owner thought a lot of him :)

I'm Dun

Visit site
Differing opinions I know but I am always surprised at 'caring' owners who would sell unseen - Not that I ever sell but if I did I'd want to make sure the horse was going to someone who suited him not just someone who had cash readily available (I'm Dun - I'm sure your ideal but how would the sellers know that if you've not sat on him)
People often talk the talk but don't walk the walk !

Because we discussed my set up and what I wanted, and there was an open invitation to visit, and speak to friends/instructors etc. They were initially interested in buying my pony that i had produced myself, so easy to check :) Discreet enquiries were made on both sides.

i'm not advocating doing what I did, I'm advocating that people need to be less fussy and obsessed with finding a perfect horse. None of them are.

Birker2020

Visit site
I'm not enjoying it one iota. The horse I lost could turn its hoof to anything, and for something even closely resembling it they are £15K but on a 'normal day' without this mental market that we are now in, would be closer to £7K.

Ridiculous.

Melody Grey

Visit site
I’ve seen it all now.....home bred 5yr old that’s done a bit of unaff dressage and BE 80s and 90s.....£18.5k

has potential though! ?

LegOn

Visit site
What goes up has to come down right? I think the markets are just insane at the moment - same over here in Ireland, horses that essentially low level riding club horses of varying soundness and age - nothing under €12K!!

I dont think its a very good time to be buying a horse - one friend said to me she would be better off breeding something or buying a foal & just sitting on it for a few years the way things are going, doesnt sound like the worst idea!

Kaylum

Visit site
Even before covid it was bad. My friend went to see a few. One was a dealer who was very rude selling a unfit horse, one was not straight at all, the other the owner was scared of it, another lied about injuries.

Birker2020

Visit site
The greed is sickening. People should be ashamed of themselves.
I totally agree. We have that with dogs, people rehoming dogs for £300 from the local shelter and selling them on Gumtree for £1500!

And now we have it with horses. The price being astronomical i mean. And the number that are unsound or have other issues and you read in between the lines. I swear a friend told me about one that the vendor had declared in their advert online 'had been diagnosed with KS but was okay if you put an ice pack on its back prior to riding!!!'

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
I’ve seen it all now.....home bred 5yr old that’s done a bit of unaff dressage and BE 80s and 90s.....£18.5k

has potential though! ?
Well that's not a terrible price depending on the BE results. Did he finish on a very good score, is he showing lots of scope? A lot of young horses with a few good BE90 results would have sold for that before Covid.

I'm Dun

Visit site
The greed is sickening. People should be ashamed of themselves.

Its not greed though. I sold mine for a bit under arket value so I could be picky where she went. Then I spent that money on another one. There was no profit in it. If you sell cheap then you run the huge risk of someone buying then immediately selling on for a huge profit.