Seed harrow or Chain Harrow?

kit279

Visit site
I need to get a harrow to sort out the fields and wondering what kind to get. I've used both types (seed and chain) before and wondering what everyone else uses. I plan to use it to break up the poo in the fields and also to reseed the paddocks in the spring and maybe level the arena as and when.

The seed harrows are quite good at pulling out the dead grass and you can use the flat side to level the arena and spread the muck - although I'm not sure how they compare relative to a chain harrow for spreading the droppings properly. They are also a bit easier to store.

The chain harrows are much more bulky to store but they seem to do a very job of breaking up the poo and would be fine for reseeding but I couldn't use it on an arena.

What does everyone else use? What would you recommend?

Ranyhyn

Visit site
We have always used a chain harrow here and it does to an excellent job of breaking up the dung, we haven't used a seed harrow so cannot comment on that. Don't know if that helps or not ;)

perfect11s

Visit site
I need to get a harrow to sort out the fields and wondering what kind to get. I've used both types (seed and chain) before and wondering what everyone else uses. I plan to use it to break up the poo in the fields and also to reseed the paddocks in the spring and maybe level the arena as and when.

The seed harrows are quite good at pulling out the dead grass and you can use the flat side to level the arena and spread the muck - although I'm not sure how they compare relative to a chain harrow for spreading the droppings properly. They are also a bit easier to store.

The chain harrows are much more bulky to store but they seem to do a very job of breaking up the poo and would be fine for reseeding but I couldn't use it on an arena.

What does everyone else use? What would you recommend?
I use chain harrows for general grass care and re seeding but the soil round here is sandy so they go in a fair way into bare soil , when you say seed harrow is that the zigzag type with solid tines on a frame I would say that would be better if you have heavy land for reseeding and better for an arena but a bit severe for grass conditioning .. so realy best to have both!!! just be carefull where you store them!!! a freinds mare got involved with some that a muppet left in her paddock... not nice....