Seedy toe/ white line disease?

fernamber

Visit site
Anyone with any experience of it at all? My fillys feet seem to be breaking up before my eyes this past few days, farrier is coming out Saturday to take a look but the field she is on is really badly waterlogged... ( aren't they all!!) she is barefoot but only because she isn't in work and has just turned three. She isn't footy or sore coming in from the field which to be fair is a really stony farm yard.... Just wondering what peoples thoughts are? Do I leave her out until farrier comes or keep her in? Thanks in advance :)

SKY

Visit site
interest in answers, i was told mine had it last summer, vet treated it and had blacksmith every 4-6 weeks. mine is unshod, as he gets abit lame back and forth with it usually after shod for a few days. tried all soaking sprays, tar, diet changes, herbs. everything i cant get rid of it, blacksmith says you never really get rid of it, might go away for a while and come back. thats what happens with mine, had black smith yesterday, hes abit sore today. he was cutting it out each time, but now hes trimming it. said hes alot better but still has it. its fungal, so i dont see how you cant get rid of it for good. hope to hear something in this thread.

Nocturnal

Visit site
I would get her on a decent mineral supplement, asap. Pro hoof from eBay, meta balance from equimins, or the summer balancer from forage plus. I'd also tub her feet with salt water or dilute Milton, but the diet is the primary method of attack!

joeanne

Visit site
Get her out of the wet to start with. The warm wet conditions are what is allowing the bacteria to take hold.
Scrub feet to clean (get EVERYTHING out!) then peroxide to kill what remains, then something like footmaster once a week will keep it at bay.
You need to sort her diet and promote good quality horn growth.

Nuala Young

New User
Visit site
My mare has been diagnosed by my Parelli barefoot farrier as having seedy toe in both forefeet. We have had lots of mud by gates where they stand and I have to admit with 2 mares and a foal, I haven't been paying attention to her feet and the last farrier actually clipped her in such a way that created cracks.
Kat, my new farrier has scrubbed out the toes and hooves with a wire wool brush, scraped out the gunk, sprayed the area with an anti-bacterial spray and pressed cotton wool wadding hard into the holes. Now I've got to do this every 2 days and am hoping things might improve within the next few months.