Seedy Toe

Henmen

Visit site
I think my mare may have Seedy toe, is it something the farrier can sort out, or should i call the vet??
I have read an artical on it from Liphook, does anyone have any 'real' experiance of it? Will it affect her ridden career?
Future problams?

spaniel

Visit site
Theres a horse on the yard with seedy toe. I think he developed it quite a while ago but from what Ive seen the farrier is the one sorting it out. He has slowly been trimming it out and the horse has his clips sited away from the area.

As far as I know he has never been lame or had any problem caused by the ST.

sally2008

Visit site
My horse has always been prone to seedy toe if I don't treat even the smallest of hoof cracks quickly. On my farriers recommendation I use the DataLife Hoof Disinfectant painted on daily - it is tea tree oil based and soaks into the hoof but doesn't soften the horn. Best thing I've come across! Great for keeping thrush at bay too.
smile.gif

KJJ

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
My horse has always been prone to seedy toe if I don't treat even the smallest of hoof cracks quickly. On my farriers recommendation I use the DataLife Hoof Disinfectant painted on daily - it is tea tree oil based and soaks into the hoof but doesn't soften the horn. Best thing I've come across! Great for keeping thrush at bay too.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Good for White Line Disease too!! (According to a Vet I know!!
wink.gif
)

Nailed

Visit site
Seedy toe is best treated by your farrier.
Liphook is a vetinary hospital i thought.
Shouldnt go lame. But not comfy. Get your farrier to sort it out. will take a while but it will work.
Lou x

mrsbloggett

Visit site
What is it that makes you think your mare has seedy toe?

I agree with everyone else that the farrier is best placed to help resolve this, though xrays can help in indicating how far the problem is within the hoof capsule. My NF pony developed seedy toe after suffering laminitis and the farrier worked along side the vet & with the help of xrays could see how much hoof wall to remove as the seedy toe shows up as a shadow on the xrays.

Do be warned though that if a significant amount of hoof wall has to be removed, you mare will need to be kept out of muddy conditions and preferably on box rest. There is also the possiblity that your mare won't be able to be ridden or exercised until the hoof has grown down, so there is no laminae showing as the hoof will be weak. In my mares case it will be around 9 months until she can be ridden.

Seedy toe can be painful for the horse as in effect the pedal bone and the laminae do not have a good connection with each other, so it can cause lameness

Twinkletoes

Visit site
Yes def one for the farrier. My gelding had a lot of hoof wall removed and we took all 4 shoes off because it had developed quite quickly and although he showed no signs of lameness and was his usual happy self we wanted to let it breathe and treat it. 6 weeks later after biotin supplement, and cleaning out the affected area with keratex hoof disinf. and bunging with cotton wall (carefully) they were back to perfect.