Seeing a stride

Visit site
hi, just wondered if any of you could help me. I have trouble seeing a stride on an approach to the fence and am confused when to put my leg on. I end up under-riding the last 4 or 5 strides away from the fence because I don't want to distract my pony by kicking him on and I am also worried in case I accidentally make him take off to early. Does anyone have any advice?
crazy.gif
confused.gif

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
Keep your leg on, leave it to the pony to sort himself out, it's only really when you start jumping bigger that you need to be careful where he places himself. You will eventually develop an eye for a stride eventually.

vic07

Visit site
you can try this exercise. One small fence and jump on a 20 meter circle. Keep a nice even rhythm and you should begin to see a stride.

It is really more important to keep pony in nice forward rhythm with your leg on. My mum maintains she cannot see a stride and managed to jump round novice be and newc and foxh. So don't worry about it!

Rachel_M

Visit site
Do you know what works for me?

Work your horse in a canter around the school, at the pace you feel comfortable using round a sj course, and then use points around the school to count how many strides the horse takes. Do this a few times and you will get a jist of what spacing your horse will need to meet a fence on four or five strides, etc. Soon enough you won't need markers but you will be able to judge a distance and can adjust or sit accordingly.

As already said it is best to squeeze and sit than fiddle. Horses know how they jump better than the rider. It is just about getting to know the horse.

Good Luck.

RunToEarth

Visit site
My instructor gets me to look at something ahead of me (usually a chimney pot from house) and do not look at bottom of fence at all, and let the horse find his own way, it works, and I have used it in competiton.

Taz975

Visit site
Try not to obssess about it - the more you worry and think about it the worse it gets, just keep coming.