Selecting a saddle for breaking

Polos Mum

Visit site
I plan to send my almost 4 year old off for professional breaking at the right time. But in the interim I'd like to do a bit with him to make the breaking process as gradual and smooth as possible.
He walks out around the roads with a trusted companion nicely. Done in hand shows. Will lunge although rarely - I;m not a fan for young joints.
Wears a roller no problem.

Next step I was thinking a proper saddle with stirrups dangling. He is as wide as a wide thing - like a table with no wither yet.
I want a saddle to be comfortable and well fitting from day 1 - he's my horse to keep so happy to spend some money knowing he'll change continually until he's 8-9 !

How do saddle fitters go about fitting to unbroken horses, clearly I can't hop on and off tying different ones - like usual.

What do people think about the bareback pads for breaking ?

Suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance

Marigold4

Visit site
I had a Solutions treeless saddle fitted for mine. I've just backed him in it and he seems pretty happy. Cost a fortune but I don't have to worry about him changing shape and can play around with the various pads and shims to get the balance right. I rode my other horse in it first to check it out and the saddle is just as stable as her treed one, even doing an excited round of show jumps!

Pinkvboots

Visit site
If it's just to dangle stirrups and have a little sit on I would use a pad as long as the horse had a nice flat back covered back, I won't use them on bony withered horses we used them on all the show ponies we backed and rode years ago.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I had the saddler out to my other horse and I asked her to have a quick look at the youngster. She recommended a saddle length/brand that would suit him for the time being so I'll find one second hand and go from there I think...!

Polos Mum

Visit site
If it's just to dangle stirrups and have a little sit on I would use a pad as long as the horse had a nice flat back covered back, I won't use them on bony withered horses we used them on all the show ponies we backed and rode years ago.

Thanks - this is how much of table he is !

What brand of pad did you use, I've read some aren't great as where the stirrups fit it creates a big pressure point

Ted back - 290520.jpg

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thanks - this is how much of table he is !

What brand of pad did you use, I've read some aren't great as where the stirrups fit it creates a big pressure point

View attachment 48433

I don't know some were leather some were just like donkey felt pads it was so long ago, we used ours with the old type rectangle saddle pads underneath and just rode everything in them but it was only for half an hour tops, I think now they make much better ones I am sure someone on here will know.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Ha! I’m a year behind but thinking about this for next year. I reckon mine is even more table like than yours! ?
I was going to ask the saddler next time she visited the yard to have a quick look and give me some ideas

Abby-Lou

Visit site
I have a Saddle Company breaking saddle & to be honest its no best thing I have bought 2nd hand at a table top sale £120 and still ride in it now rather than a proper saddle its so comfy