Self build experiences

BallyJ

Visit site
Has anyone done a self build before?
With no previous experience in the construction industry? Currently on the hunt for a new house and can't find a single one we like, (within Budget)! Just looking for opinions and experiences, rough budget ideas etc etc.

Muddywellies

Visit site
I'm in the same situation as you. Tho it looks like we may not be able to self build on a plot with a bit of land as I found out this week its more expensive than I thought. Average is about £1800 per sq metre (tho it can vary) meaning it may not quite be affordable for us. I'm in such a quandary about which way to go. Cheapest option is possibly stay where we are and extend, and buy a field within a few miles (if one ever comes up for sale)

neddy man

Visit site
Is £1800 a sq mtr just materials or including labour? just done the maths to build a replica of our house would be £432,000 if that is inc labour it's a bargain. You would probably need a year of your time to build one and additional costs for electric and gas certificates and maybe a plasterer, but its doable.

Muddywellies

Visit site
It's all in, just doesn't include final decoration (or buying the plot). If you Google you'll find more info, but I know that figure is very variable. We don't have quite your budget as I was hoping to get it all for 400k ish (incl buying land and putting stables up) but it will stretch our budget. The land I was looking at already has PP (so is quite expensive) so if yours doesn't, don't forget to factor that cost in too.

sunnyone

Visit site
We did in 1989. We happened to drive past a gatehouse and 2.5 acres that were for sale, so bought them. Erecting block stables and sewing grass was the first job and successful!

The gatehouse had planning permission for replacement and no variations on that were allowed. We had to build in stone and with lots of visual "character". Despite working with an architect and his recommended stonemason the first build had to be torn down due to the stone being laid against its natural grain! We had to stand the cost of replacement as we had no written contract with the stonemason that said the house would be a dwelling and conform to current regulations! Suing would not have been cost effective. The architect gave us no back-up so he left the project.
We asked the next set of builders (local firm) to leave the site as their subbies kept throwing stones into the paddock at the horses because they wanted to watch them run! In the end my husband gave up accountancy to supervise all work and did much of it himself, even qualifying as an electrician and plumber on the way.

The moral of the story: only go ahead if you are really determined to succeed in the end. I'm sure some self-builds must go smoothly but part of the popularity of programmes such as Grand Designs is due to the frequency of "it's gone wrong" scenarios.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Not with an equestrian property, but having completely built our house from the ground up I’d say take any initial quote with a pinch of salt as builds rarely go to plan. I would always assume a 20-30% buffer on top of a quote to ensure you still have funds available to finish the project if you hit a snag.

Trouper

Visit site
Make the local planning officer your friend and pick their brains before even engaging an architect. You need to know what is acceptable in an area. I have a personal formula that says building projects cost half as much again as first budgetted for and take twice as long - but I may be a bit of a pessimist!!

TPO

Visit site
My parents have just done that. Bought 7 acres with PP July 2018.

Still not in the new house yet due to changing pp (wanted a smaller house) and then dramas with builders not doing what they were paid to do resulting in putting the first lot off site.

BallyJ

Visit site
I think we might give it a miss. I’ll be honest our hearts aren’t in building a house, it’s more out of desperation to find a perfect house!

BallyJ

Visit site
Has anyone used an agent to find a house for them? Not sure if it’s the same everywhere but houses were looking at have been flying off the shelf, our house has sold so the search has intensified

Muddywellies

Visit site
Has anyone used an agent to find a house for them? Not sure if it’s the same everywhere but houses were looking at have been flying off the shelf, our house has sold so the search has intensified

We are thinking of holding off for 12 month or so till this craziness is over. I heard that since the CV outbreak, city folk are relocating to the countryside and properties are selling without even viewing!! It's gone bonkers! So as desperate as I am to move, I wonder if I will have to be patient and wait a while. Still unsure whether to stay here indefinitely and buy a field locally, or try to buy a place with a bit of land. But I guess if we just sit tight, eventually an opportunity may present itself.
If your house has sold, I would go into rented whilst you search. Gives you a bit of leverage when negotiating a price as you're not part of a chain.

buddylove

Visit site
If I was ever going to do a self build I would look into the SIPS construction method.
We did briefly consider knocking down our cottage and replacing it, but ended up extending by 75% instead. Had a great team of builders, but hated all the decisions!!!

BallyJ

Visit site
We are thinking of holding off for 12 month or so till this craziness is over. I heard that since the CV outbreak, city folk are relocating to the countryside and properties are selling without even viewing!! It's gone bonkers! So as desperate as I am to move, I wonder if I will have to be patient and wait a while. Still unsure whether to stay here indefinitely and buy a field locally, or try to buy a place with a bit of land. But I guess if we just sit tight, eventually an opportunity may present itself.
If your house has sold, I would go into rented whilst you search. Gives you a bit of leverage when negotiating a price as you're not part of a chain.

moving in with my parents for a little while, so while there’s no immediate rush - there kind of is a rush ?

blitznbobs

Visit site
We self built about 3 years ago - I project managed it..

my biggest piece of advice is pick out everything before you start ... on the first day of the build the builder came to me and asked exactly where the extractor in the kitchen was going... luckily I had drawings for the kitchen but had to run round like a nutter getting bathrooms designed... When I do it again I will have every detail planned out before the building begins.

(I loved almost all of the experience tho so much so we’re converting another building at another property and I plan to project manage that one too...)