Self medicating horses

J&S

Visit site
My ponies chewed all the bark off the willow which was in the field, now no willow! Have planted another couple and fenced them well.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Jacob always munches on cleavers whenever we pass some and I let him stop - it's supposed to be a diuretic and good for their lymphatic system, and he is prone to lymphangits.. I also now supplement him with a dried version, it's so interesting!

Pippity

Visit site
My first share horse used to like to grab a thistle or two. I always figured that if she wanted a thistle enough to eat a thistle, then I'd let her!

The other day, while I was chatting with my instructor mid-lesson, Blue stuck her head through the arena fence and started munching on some horsetail. She's got the self-preservation instincts of a lemming at times.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I've had two horses had operations, one GA and one heavy sedation and after both of them they made a beeline for dandelion and plantain for a couple of weeks.

Visit site
I've had two horses had operations, one GA and one heavy sedation and after both of them they made a beeline for dandelion and plantain for a couple of weeks.

Why would that be? Dandelion is diuretic, plaintain (esp. broadleaf) has ulcer preventative properties and the seeds are a bulking agent but curious as to why they'd seek it out after ops, if you know?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Why would that be? Dandelion is diuretic, plaintain (esp. broadleaf) has ulcer preventative properties and the seeds are a bulking agent but curious as to why they'd seek it out after ops, if you know?

Plantain is also a diuretic. I assumed it was to flush out toxins. They knew what they wanted, I was hand grazing on the verges and I saw them pick out the individual plants.

Last edited:
Visit site
Plantain is also a diuretic. I assumed it was to flush out toxins. They knew what they wanted, I was hand grazing on the verges and I saw them pick out the individual pants.

Oh I didn't know that - thank you ? what breeds were they out of interest? I've always hypothesised, based on what I've seen in my own horses over the years, that it tends to be just native /cob sorts that do it rather than more highly bred ones but it's a fairly small sample size ?