self trimming for 55 weeks and got the thumbs up last night

Kezzabell2

Visit site
I'm not sure if anyone remembers but my horse had his shoes removed last year because he was 6/10th lame, with remedial shoeing

my vet wanted my horse to self trim and I've just seen on timehop that it was this day last year that he had raised heels fitted. they sent him from 2/10th lame to 6/10, so a week later they were removed!

Since then I've been tidying his hooves up with a rasp and he finally had a visit from my farrier for the first time last night! the vet has been keeping a eye on his feet.

the farrier was really chuffed with his progress, said that whatever I've been doing is really working and I need to keep doing it! who'd have thought a farrier would be that supportive! he told me to keep an eye on the inside of his front left foot and he tidied up the edges for me but he really didn't think they needed much work! wooohooo!

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Woooo!!! Well done you!

I don't think people realise barefoot can be very time consuming. I walk my horse for 15 mins on roads every day, as well as his normal ride 5-6 days a week. Anyway, i haven't been able to do this for 5 weeks after breaking my hand (leading said crazy beast!) and my trimmer (and me) have noticed a massive difference in his feet :( thankfully I've started being able to lead him again, this week so starting with the morning and evening walks, hopefully riding again soon

JillA

Visit site
And hats off to your vet and farrier for being so open minded - livery on my yard had lammi 13 months ago and is still wearing heartbars and leather pads, and has had his toes trimmed back so much the laminae are exposed.
Meanwhile mine from the same time is now barefoot and sound and working well, toes shorter thanks to little and often - I trim his breakover every week or two as well as any developing flare. You can't do that with shoes.