Sell/Loan or hope...

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
ive got a 4yr youngster.. due to an injury in july ive been out of action since, im awaiting a second op that today im informed will see me out of action again for up to 3 months. long term still dont know if i will ever get full use of my left hand back.

ive posted about said horse before being a handful, ive since figured out if he is in work the problems are not there.

he was bought by me to compete in the show ring.. hes a quality horse.

but im at a loss what do to with him, hes 4, been backed.. hes ridden by kids in walk and trot in a school.

ground work wise he does it all leads off another horse, lunges jumps anything is bold as anything on the roads (not ridden only backed as i say but hes been out on long reins, led and ponied..)

the down side is he is 17hh and can be a complete ***** to handle. and he does have what id say is attitude. and yes on occasion has been nasty.

all year ive not known the out come of my injury, ive hoped id be able to hold reins... its unlikley, whilst i appreciate i will still ride this wont be the horse for a semi disabled rider.

so bck to title.. do i sell..klnowing i wont get sod all for him, do i loan and at least he has a job. (he is county standard showing wise)
or do i leave him sat in field doing nothing and hope in 6-12 months i make a full recovery and can get him going and out showing??

money isnt an issue here, friend has him rent free atm, and when she has kids about at the weekends they pull him out ride him and during the week i pop up...

KSR

Visit site
Leave him til spring doing what he's doing.. I can take him on for spring summer to see how he goes and you, then decide during that period..?

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
he will be 5 in june.. i think he needs work if im honest hes always happier and more well behaved when hes worked every day, also if im honest i just dont currently want the worry .. ideally he needs feeding every day etc

if i end up having to sell id rather he been off doing something for a year or so

but.. mate thanks..

annaellie

Visit site
See he sounds perfect, my last serious comp horse was 17.2 and needed working to keep his brain ticking over. I bought him cheaply as he was classed as dangerous but when settled he was always a quirky boy.
Am sure there would be a market for him for either loan or sell

Suziq77

Visit site
If it was me I'd be tempted to send him to the right producer at the end of Feb/early March 2013 for them to do a bit of work on him, get him out a few times in novice classes and potentially up his value should you decide to sell. Then around May/June you could re-evaluate whether you wanted to keep going with the producer, advertise him for sale or chuck him back in the field to grow up a bit more and give your hand some more time.

With a horse that size they often don't really grow into themselves until 7 or 8 so there's no harm in taking it slowly this year and next year.

I know they're not South West but you could try asking FMM on here - she would probably have some good advice on options for a potential show horse.

Sorry to hear that the news on your hand wasn't great :(

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
S, I would love to so that but I've not worked since July..just as I've started looking for a job I get the news im going to be out of action again so I simply don't have the funds.

Suziq77

Visit site
S, I would love to so that but I've not worked since July..just as I've started looking for a job I get the news im going to be out of action again so I simply don't have the funds.

Oh no, sorry I didn't realise, what a rubbish time for you :( Will send you a quick PM....

ihatework

Visit site
Contact the hunt and see if they need anything? Big smart horses always useful, and they tend to be practical enough not to worry about a bit of nonsense on the ground.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
ihw hes not ready for hunting, hes pulled out of the field at a weekend,. and the kids plod around the school on him some times in a headcollar barback some times with tack, hes had a couple of trots under saddle but thats it..

my friend took him as a favour, with me wanting him backed ready for me to crack on with, but things havent gone that way.

s im just about to reply to you xxx

lillie07

Visit site
ihw hes not ready for hunting, hes pulled out of the field at a weekend,. and the kids plod around the school on him some times in a headcollar barback some times with tack, hes had a couple of trots under saddle but thats it..

my friend took him as a favour, with me wanting him backed ready for me to crack on with, but things havent gone that way.

I would loan him out for 12 months. If someone takes him now they can school him over the winter and campaign him next season as a novice- if he is the quality you describe him to be, he should be really easy to find a decent rider for. That way you can re-evaluate in 12 months and he should be easier to sell if you are not in a position to ride him.

zizz

Visit site

Doubt the hunt would mind TBH, Friend sold her 17.1 IDx 5yo to the hunt in August. He had only been lightly hacked for 6 months as he was knocked her confidence to do anything else with him, she still got 2.5k!

imr

Visit site
A bit offtopic jhoward, but to give you some hope really.

A lady who trains with my trainer does not have full use of one of her hands, the little finger side of her hand really has very little movement. I actually only found out because when the horse was on a loose rein after her lesson I could see these little leather loops hanging off the reins, so I asked what they were. Basically she passes the loop into her hand first and then the rein, so that if her grip loosens (which it does) the reins do not slide through her grip because the loop holds them in place. If you look at pics of sophie wells, she has a similar loop type thing on her reins, although she hooks the loop on her upper fingers. Anyway, the loop thing works very well, and I honestly had no idea at all she had an issue with her hand from watching her ride.

I hope you have good news in a few months time, but if its not perfect, maybe this could be a workable option for riding.

jhoward

Demon exorcist...
Visit site
thanks for all the pms, i will consider anything at the moment and will explore all leads.

z..

im not keen on him going to a hunt he was bought to be a show horse, im protective of his ickle pegs.

i

thank you.. its my middle finger i buggered up.. i also ruptured all the tendons in my arm/wrist/hand.

im awaiting a second op to have a now dislocation pinned, which meens a few more months casted/splinted and with a cage over my finger and STILL i dont know how well bloody paw/claw will recover.

i will also say i love this horse ive posted about him being a ***** before but he has his reasons and im not looking to sell to get shot. I want the best for the horse long term.