Sell or PTS if I can't find a full loan?

Kadastorm

Visit site
Hi guys, I'm having to make a tough decision about my pony. I have decided that once I finish Uni next year I am going to South Africa for a few months to volunteer before going to Florida to study more/do an internship. My parents are moving there so I will be too and at the moment I cannot afford to take the pony aswell.
I currently have 2 loaners for him although I still go everyday to check him and do jobs, occasionally ride. One loaner is very young and relies on her parents to bring her to the yard and if it rains then she will not come up. The other loaner is brilliant but she doesn't have the finances to have him on full loan. I am going to offer them the chance to share him together but they would have sole responsibility as I will not be there to fall back on. My yard is a lovely yard and I know everyone would keep an eye on him and give them a hand if and when they need it.
However, I need a plan for if this doesn't happen and I can't find a full loan.
He is 13.2, 7yr old (will be 8 when I plan on actually finding him another home/loan) and a newforest. He is a brilliant character but not the easiest pony. He isn't nasty in any way, doesn't bite or kick, will stand to be groomed all day but hates sprays and clippers. Great with the dentist and although fidgety, is ok with the farrier. He also had hind limb PSD last year and was diagnosed with navicular but I have bought him back into work and he does everything, jumps, hacks and schools. He hacks alone and in company but can be nappy alone although I haven't had any issues with napping for quite a while. He doesn't like schooling much but happily plods about with my loaners who are both nervous. He has an amazing jump and loves XC, he isn't that fond of water but I have got him in and cantering through/jumping out. He can have the odd buck when excited or doesn't want to school nicely but they are only small.
He really is a sweet pony, very loving and full of cheekiness and character which me and his loaners love, he even let's teeny tots or complete novices have a pony ride on the lead rein and looks after them well.
So, my question is, do you think I can sell him if I cannot find a suitable loan home? I cannot afford to keep him while I'm out of the country but I said I would never sell him...I couldn't bare to PTS at such a young age when I know he has so much more to give. My issue with selling is that I have no control over him and I don't want him to be ridden into the ground only to break down again. I love this pony an awful lot but I know I can't stay here in a dead end job just to keep him.
So, what would you do if you couldn't find a full loan for this pony?

touchstone

Visit site
I'd sell to the right home, he obviously gives you and the loaners much pleasure and will potentially give another owner that pleasure too. Pts wouldn't be right when there is a possibility of finding a good home for him imo, but I'd possibly try advertising as a loan or LWVTB

FairyLights

Visit site
If this pony belonged to me then I would have him PTS because of his medical history and the worry about what might happen in the future. It isnt a decision to be taken lightly but I have taken this course with a horse I owned she had tripping issues and separation anxiety and although a superstar to ride and do I didnt want to risk her ending up in a bad place.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I would sign him over to the better loaner for a peppercorn then leave it up to her to work an arrangement with the less committed loaner or find a better sharer if she so wishes...

LadyRascasse

Visit site
Even loaning him he could be 'ridden into the ground' you won't be in the country to have keep an eye on him so I personally would sell or rehome so that you don't have any dramas of someone suddenly not being able to keep him and your in a foreign country unable to do anything with him. I don't think he is a candidate to be pts as like you say has so much to give. Perhaps try one of the rescue centres and see if they can help you find a suitable home with the fall back to go there if it feel through.

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
It would seem a shame to PTS if he is currently sound and happy, yes bad things can happen to horses when they are sold but there are also lots of lovely purchasers who will love the horse as much as you do. I would offer to give him to the loaner who is more reliable and if she didn't want him then sell him, I wouldn't keep him on loan with you in a foreign country if you intend to be away long term as it will be too difficult to sort out any problems and you won't be around to get any of the benefits such as an occasional ride.

Exploding Chestnuts

Visit site
If this pony belonged to me then I would have him PTS because of his medical history and the worry about what might happen in the future. It isnt a decision to be taken lightly but I have taken this course with a horse I owned she had tripping issues and separation anxiety and although a superstar to ride and do I didnt want to risk her ending up in a bad place.
Too extreme, there are loads of places for him, I would try to find a nice farm home for him, the girl who can t come when it rains is not reliable enough, can the YO advise, even a local RS where he would only be used as lead rein?
If pony is kept barefoot and on a good diet with regular exercise and a good farrier, there is no reason for him to have problems,you can arrange for a vet to come and check him every four months, and get loaner to send you photo every month. This assumes you will be coming back, else sell him though local RC or similar.

Last edited:

Carlosmum

Visit site
What about a local RDA group, they are often looking for suitable ponies, he could be on permanent loan & possibly you could have him back if you returned.

oldie48

Visit site
I'm another who thinks a loan is not a good idea if you are not in the country to pick up the pieces if it goes wrong. Personally I'd sell him at a sensible price to the right home. Lots of people don't want to school and if he'd be happy hacking round and popping the odd jump, then I'm sure there are suitable homes out there, you just need t be honest about his medical history and little quirks, which don't seem to bad. lots of homes would cope easily with him.

EmmaC78

Visit site
I would also try and sell to the right home. He sounds like a nice boy who, despite his quirky points, could be a useful little pony for somebody.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I am doing everything possible to get out of South Africa and you want to come here? Whhhhhyyy?

Where in SA will you be?

Can you not retire him to grass livery when you leave?

Kadastorm

Visit site
Thankyou for the replies guys, it's given me a few other options that I haven't considered before.

Lady: I'm going out to volunteer at a reserve (just come back from there). Anti poaching and reserve management to gain experience as my degree is in animal behaviour, science and welfare!
I really loved it but I know how dangerous it is, I'll be staying on a reserve near pilanesburg national park.
Hope you manage to get out, I know a lot of people are also trying to leave too. Xx

Equi

Visit site
I would never loan a horse if i was not there and able to take it back - what happens if both don't want to loan? Who takes care of the horse?

Your only option is to sell him at this point. I don't agree in putting a healthy useful horse down until it has at least tried to get a new home.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Ahh that's so cool! I stayed just down the road in mankwe but visited the park a couple of times for game drives :)

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
Just bought OH a huuuugggee bungalow tent for his birthday so I'm sure I'll be back here again soon.

We are driving down to mankwe now actually, so I'd better run. PM me if there's anything I can do to help. I'm between here and the UK until October.

meesha

Visit site
I would sell or lwvtb as you have plenty of time but I would do it now so that you can vet homes carefully without panic. Firstly talk in depth to current loaner, give her a couple of weeks or so to make a decision then crack on and advertise. Better to sort it now while the weather is good and you have time to rethink should it go wrong or potential buyer decides to return if lwvtb.

_GG_

Visit site
Op - you have time. I have a friend who is a small petite mum who loves to hack out with her daughter on her little Shetland. All she wants in a pony is that it is good with children, not too much trouble on the ground, good traffic and generally not stupid.

She will not be the only mum out there wanting a safe happy hacker to ride out with children and lots of mums are small and don't need anything bigger than a 13.2hh.

So, if he is good in all traffic, I would sell or permanently re home to a well vetted happy hacking home where a small mum can enjoy him.

I would advertise now though and I would not loan. Xx

dunkley

Visit site
I would also be looking to sell, responsibly, and to a home you are 100% happy with. If it is the right home, they will love him as much as you do, and take equal care if they have to move him on. I would suggest contacting some of your local pony club DCs. They may well have local knowledge of a suitable home who are looking for another pony. It is the summer holidays, and a good opportunity to find the right people. Sadly, there will also be children who have lost their own pony suddenly, and be desperate to find something suitable because at this time of year most people with ponies that size are enjoying all the summer activities, and not really looking to sell. The Pony Club website is good for sales and wanted advertisements. Loans, IMO, are fine if you are able to pick up the pieces if it goes wrong, or have a trustworthy, knowledgeable friend who will step into the breach. It isn't something I would trust to a busy yard, or yard owner as they are usually too wrapped up in their own lives and routines. Unless, of course, you pay for the service, and even then nothing is guaranteed, especially if you are thousands of miles away.

madmav

Visit site
I would also suggest that selling him would be the best solution. There isn't really anything to be gained if you are the other side and a loan goes wrong. At least you can hope that someone who has invested their cash in him will want to keep their investment sound and healthy. Good luck. Very hard decision to make.

honetpot

Visit site
I would discuss you options with your sharers, sometimes its better the devil you know. I am sure he is a lovely pony but with his long term conditions there will not be that many takers if you want to sell him and the small amount of money you would receive would mean you will have no control of his fate. I always think its not who you sell to but who they sell to is the worry. I would try and find a horsey god mother would will act for your ponies/your best interests and see if one of the sharers would take him on as a loan, it will be just as hard for them to find a nice pony they can trust. Leave the horse godmother a cheque for the cost of the hunt to PTS, its about a £150, if things don't work out.
Another alternative is a charity that has helpers that ride. There are a couple near me that have helpers but their ponies are too small for the helpers to ride so they take the odd bigger pony that is rideable and also near me there is a riding school that does very beginner riding so they the only walk and trot and most of the hacks are walks round the village. There is of course RDA, our local group has donated ponies that they care for.

Spring Feather

Visit site
I would advertise the pony now for sale so that it gives you plenty of time to choose the ideal new owner for him. You definitely don't want to be in a loan situation when you are out of the country; I've seen those situations go so wrong.

He sounds like a great little pony and I'm sure there will be someone out there who would buy him and care for him. I would not even consider the option of PTS this pony; he has a future.

Clodagh

Visit site
I agree with the sell suggestions, be honest, sell him cheap to a well vetted home. Not all purchasers only want to ruin what they buy! I don't see that loaning would be an option.

sidsmum

Visit site
As most others have said, I would be selling now to give plenty of time. I wouldn't be considering loaning because if things go wrong you won't be in the position to take him back.

From what you have said I wouldn't consider pts either. It sounds like he has a lot more to give.

Good luck! ☺

mandwhy

Visit site
Bless him, I think you should definitely try to find him a home, or gift him to your better loaner if she wants him, but you don't want to loan as how will you sort anything out from far away. A mother daughter share sounds lovely, he sounds like such a nice pony. People talk about pts all the time on here but I don't think it is necessary here at all.

Lots of us wouldn't mind a horse with minor medical problems, I'd have those over a bad attitude any day. My friend has a loss of use stamped horse, he does the job she wants just fine and is very sweet.

hihosilver

Visit site
Difficult one. However if he means a lot to you I wouldn't be selling him or loaning him out. Its just too risky and there never is a forever home for any horses or ponies. I would want peace of mind. RDA ponies have to do 4 hours a day-will be cope with that? I would be thinking the best thing to do would be PTS. He wont suffer this way or end up in a meat sale 8 months down the line.

rowan666

Visit site
I would discuss you options with your sharers, sometimes its better the devil you know. I am sure he is a lovely pony but with his long term conditions there will not be that many takers if you want to sell him and the small amount of money you would receive would mean you will have no control of his fate. I always think its not who you sell to but who they sell to is the worry. I would try and find a horsey god mother would will act for your ponies/your best interests and see if one of the sharers would take him on as a loan, it will be just as hard for them to find a nice pony they can trust. Leave the horse godmother a cheque for the cost of the hunt to PTS, its about a £150, if things don't work out.
Another alternative is a charity that has helpers that ride. There are a couple near me that have helpers but their ponies are too small for the helpers to ride so they take the odd bigger p
ony that is rideable .
This if possible, try and find a home (not loan, that wont work) if not PTS. You dont really have any other option if you cant find a trusted home and its not easy selling a horse with health issues when there are so many for sale at a give away price that dont have any problem :( good luck

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I am doing everything possible to get out of South Africa and you want to come here? Whhhhhyyy?

Where in SA will you be?

Can you not retire him to grass livery when you leave?

too many PTS.

I would advertise him locally for loan he is only young, I would ask the existing shares if they want more days for their loaning.

I am sure there is some home out there perfect for him