Sell or Store WWYD?

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Head and heart say store, but is it fair on her? Lovely 16.2 rising 6 tb mare, has stood in the field most of the year bar the odd gentle hack out when a rider has been available, sometimes with five month intervals. So, with no chance of a constant rider, I can't ride her (she is not a weight carrier Lol )but I could do a lot on the ground if its not to frozen/wet. I have her advertised very cheaply online but am worried that she will end up in the wrong home just because she is cheap. Yet I'm also worried that standing in the field won't be doing her any good and that maybe the person who replies to the cheap horse ad might be just right for her. She's not costing much to keep, I have the time to do her, but not much inclination to be honest. I'm not interested in loaning her out. What do I do, just looking for suggestions from sensible bods (thats why its here not New Lounge ;) )

MegaBeast

Visit site
Are you likely to get inclination to do anything with her in the longer term? Your head and heart say store, but for what purpose? If it's just a case of Winter blues then wait til Spring and have some fun with her.

If you can comfortably afford to keep her, she's happy ie plenty of food, company and well looked after then I'm quite sure she doesn't mind being a field ornament.

I'd be wary of selling cheaply as you do hear of a lot of horror stories. If you "must" sell then do you know someone who could bring her back into work for you first to give her the best chance?

Singing Dawg

Lang may yer lum reek
Visit site
Oh she is totally happy being an ornament and a very pretty one she is too lol. She is the boss of the field, I won't notice any cost over winter, they have adlib hay and live out with rugs on

i think I will see who replies to the cheap horse ad and take it from there but I won't sell her for the sake of it, I just worry that I'm wasting her, tho' from her point of view life is a breeze and I'd be a ****** if I changed it for her!

Gamebird

Visit site
Find someone to ride her, bring her on and sell her out competing. I've just done this with one and we've doubled her value in 7 weeks and sold her to a lovely home who wouldn't have considered her straight from the field.

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
Find someone to ride her, bring her on and sell her out competing. I've just done this with one and we've doubled her value in 7 weeks and sold her to a lovely home who wouldn't have considered her straight from the field.

Ditto this
There are tons of cheap project tb types online, much more likely to be able to find her a nice home where she won't be passed around if you can get her back in work and going nicely.

Nosey

Visit site
She's obv a level headed girly if she has been picked up & ridden so occassionally so hopefully wouldn't take that long to get her up & ready to do stuff which as per other posts will make her more saleable.

Lolo

Visit site
Have you tried asking round if there's anyone who'd like to come and ride her and get her fitter, do some winter dressage/ SJ and maybe hunt her? She sounds like a poppet, and I reckon you'll get people jumping at the chance.

I know I always say it, but worth contacting your local DCs and asking for their team manager's numbers, or looking on local branches' websites... They often have very good suggestions about who they know is short of a ride, or will ride anything for a bit more experience and who is a decent rider. And if it's a teenager, they'll probably do it for free/ percentage cut at the end when she sells...

ellie11987

Visit site
Put an advert up for a rider. If it is permanent, keep her. Or you could get her back in full work, then sell for more. Vet the home and make sure buyers are genuine or sell her to someone you know.