Selle Francais - worst feet ever!

Kraft

Visit site
Had my Selle Francais ex race horse for 2 years now and his front feet are aweful!
frown.gif

Looses shoes all the time but also takes some of the foot with the shoe as his feet are sooooooo brittle.
He is eventing now so has stud holes in them - not sure if that is doing more damage than good!
He went lame a couple of weeks ago and had his shoes taken on and off 3 times until we found the problem - This has now made thigs even worse.
The blacksmith could not get a shoe on so had to use racing plate.
Any advice??????? - Quick fix would be BRILLIANT.
He does not overeach or anything like that just very weak feet.
confused.gif

kerilli

Visit site
well, if you can afford them, Imprints. they have made my mare Katy (t.b., appallingly small front feet which didn't grow at all) totally sound, and she grew more foot in the first month she had them on, than in the 6 preceding months. she went from bilaterally lame to totally sound, and has stayed that way. *touches wood* and is galloping, jumping, etc.
apart from the cost, no regrets at all. fantastic product. the putty and glue can make up the foot, the putty stuff bonds to the hoof totally and can be used to extend it. if you do a search i posted at the time about "Katy's Jimmy Choos" with pics of before and after.

4leggedfurries

Sunny Somerset - surrounded by bare scorched field
Visit site
A cube of strawberry jelly and biotin every day, plus effol his feet every day too, to keep them flexible. D had terrible feet when i first had him, but a combination of the above has done wonders for his feet and now they are looking pretty good. Plus a pair of overreach boots for in the field aswell. He may not over reach but if he's pratting around he may just catch the corner of one.

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
Feed any suppliament with biotin. I and few other farriers i know have had little success keeping the imprint sport shoes on, they dont tend to work if your horse is hyper in the field and in the mud they come straight off. Maybe its just us but at the cost to put them on having shoes come off is not what you want.

There is a product on the market that is a hoof cast. It wraps round the entire foot creating a strengthened wall and gives an anchor for nails. I think its called hoof cast but i would have to go an get a catalogue to double check. i have started using it on horses with very poor feet quality its quite new i think