Sellers - a rant!

Snowfilly

Visit site
Went with a friend to look at a nice 5 year old bay gelding this morning. She was after a young RC all rounder to bring on and this nice welsh D looked pretty good.

He had a slightly misaligned jaw, top teeth slightly forward but the whole upper jaw and teeth were to the left of the lower teeth by about a finger's width.

From behind his left hip was slightly lower and his left quarter and thigh weren't as muscled as the right.

Despite this, he seemed an absolute sweetheart and the owner's son rode him in the paddock. The left hind wasn't quite tracking up at trot, and he struggled with his canter strike offs, running and hollowing into them.

My friend rode him and loved him; very steady in traffic and lovely butter soft mouth but agreed he felt a little bit off. Final outcome - she wanted to buy him, as he was so well behaved, went well and was beautiful looking but wanted a full vetting because of the crookedness and uneven muscles.

The seller agreed to this and we went off to investigate. Within an hour, friend received a text stating 'you do realise horses aren't all perfect...I don't want my horse pulled around like that and I think he isn't the horse for you because you shouldn't need the vet to see he's the right horse.'

Have had to talk friend down off the ceiling, she now suspects they knew there was a problem and was hoping to pass it off.

Sellers, eh?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It does sound a bit dodgy any seller that expects no one to have a horse vetted is a bit deluded and quite possibly hiding something, I think some rely on the fact that it won't get noticed by a less experienced buyer thing is if you noticed he wasn't quite right the vet will surely see it and it would quite possibly been a waste of money.

Kaylum

Visit site
Friend had the same, looked good, felt good until the day before the vetting. Rode the horse and something wasnt right. Luckily videoed this and the horse wasnt right.

Asked the seller if the horse had been lame. NO was the reply. Did some snooping on facebook saw the horse had been lame 6 months before. Vetting stopped obviously had been doped for the previous viewings. Luckily no waste of vetting fees. Also the seller tried to put her off having it vetted a few times saying the times weren't right.

Snowfilly

Visit site
It sounds as if your friend has had a lucky escape but unfortunately the horse is left with a dishonest owner.

I know, I feel sorry for him. He was a sweetheart and tried really hard to please, which is why she was happy to go with the vet - her heart had already decided!

I am cross with the seller for not caring, how people can be callous like that I can't imagine. But I'm glad friend didn't get any more involved than she was and I just hope he finds a good home.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Lucky escape! What a shame though, clearly something is wrong and they're ignoring it.

Welsh D's can be common to have juvenile arthritis, hocks is common and suspensory issues, due to their conformation the vet told me previously.

BenvardenRach2

Visit site
:( does sound dodgy, poor pony he sounds like a sweet heart.

Re Kaylum's facebook comment.. I always do a facebook stalk... it's amazing how stupid some people are.
Wanted to view a horse a few years ago, advert sounded great. Did a little Facebook stalk hoping to find more photos of the horse and found loads of photos of him up vertical, owner flying through the air and an 'essay' she had written 3 month prior about how much of a horror he had been - lameness, teeth issues, refusals, bronking...

No mention of anything in the advert, described him as an angel, perfect in every way never reared/bucked.

If people are going to lie why leave evidence all over your facebook profile :rolleyes: !!

Fransurrey

Visit site
I always told sellers before going to view that I would be getting the horse vetted. One pony looked fab, but seemed rather too much of a bargain. I asked for videos of him ridden and on one canter lead he seemed hollow and bucked going into canter. At this point we'd arranged a viewing date, just not a time and for some reason I hadn't yet asked about vetting, so I asked at that point (via messenger, as that's how the videos were sent). No reply, followed by no further contact. I never chased it, but did see the pony listed as a project with another owner not long after..

eggs

Visit site
How frustrating for your friend.

Some years ago I was looking for a horse for my novice husband. Found an older ex-riding school horse that was now in a private home. Had him vetted and he 'failed' on a significant number of issues but as I keep my horses at home and could afford to retire him to the field and as he would have been perfect for my husband I had a chat with my vet who didn't say not to buy but that he was only worth 'meat money'. As a result of the vet findings I put in an offer which the buyer accepted. On the morning that I was going to pick him up I got a call from the owner to say that their yard owner said he was worth a lot more money and had bought him for themselves. Knowing the yard owner I was not surprised to see the same horse advertised two weeks later with no mention of the issues found at vetting.

be positive

Visit site
Saved you the price of a vetting!!

That was my thought, no vet would have passed it as it was, they would have listed all the faults so numerous insurance exclusions and they would not really diagnose at a vetting so it would have been an expensive exercise for no good reason.

Melody Grey

Visit site
What a waste of time for you and your friend OP! In my world, everything is open to vetting unless explicitly stated in the ad.....in which case, the price needs to realistically reflect this. I have sold horses I knew would fail/ have failed, but always been completely transparent about that and welcomed vet involvement which has been supportive and confirmed my honesty. I really don't understand the logic of denying vetting...I'm obviously too honest!!