Selling a foal, when to advertise, deposit?

hayinamanger

Visit site
My WB x Shire colt foal is coming up to 3 months old. I have never advertised a foal before, I am thinking of using H&H or Horsequest. I see his future in a competition home, but have no real idea of his value, he will be cut/chipped and passported by the time he leaves here at 6 months. He is approx 14 hands at the moment, I expect him to exceed 16.2 hands at maturity.

I would be grateful for any advice. If a deposit is taken, how much should it be, is a deposit non-refundable and where do I stand if, worst case scenario, the foal injures himself/dies before he leaves?

I have no recent pictures, he is wet and muddy every day, but here he is at about 2 weeks. Thank you.
LPIC1640.jpg

koeffee

Visit site
I have sold some of my 2012 foals from a week old, i also take around a 20% deposit, purchaser will then insure for accidents?

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I personally would still insure my foal right up to weaning/collection time because if anything happens to it I want to be the one recompensed not them as they are covered by the deposit.

I'd take a 25% deposit, more if they want to, which would be totally returnable if the foal dies/is injured enough to not be viable for them (say if they bought as a show foal and it was too badly scarred) If they decided they no longer wanted the foal for any reason I'd return only half the deposit.

Use the best advertising means that you can which is the best for your type of foal. Take good up to date pictures and possibly a short video which you can email them then write the best description that you can.

I've got to go through the same process with both Sparks and Manny shortly, not looking forward to it either! Good luck.

miller

Visit site
We bought from stud 10% deposit, they paid routine vet/accidents etc until collection plus foot trims and feed - option to have deposit returned in case of accident/injury affecting value

misst

Visit site
I paid approx 10% deposit non refundable except on death/injury. I paid in full but left him there for gelding when he was 9 months (my choice as I did not want to bring a colt home) and paid a nominal sum for his keep during that time. He was fully insured by me from 10 days before I paid in full so he was never without insurance. His breeder was extremely flexible and happy to keep him through the gelding process and for 3 weeks afterwards.