Selling a Hunter - Questions...

bandit

Visit site
Hello guys

I'm seriously considering selling my horse as he no longer will do the job I want.

It will be absolutely heart breaking as I've had him for 3 years, however when I bought him I didn't htink about Eventing, and for a time, he did all he was asked to do. But - now I want to event, he isn't confident in doing xc in cold blood.

He is an amazing hunter, hunted last 2 seasons with Surrey Union, has the manners of a saint, would team chase or hack. He also can be jumped but I don't want to emphasise that as although he wouldn't struggle, he really just enjoys hunting alot more...

So = when and how is the best way to sell?

Currently he's having the summer off, hasn't been ridden since beginning of June. I would like to sell him sooner rather htan later if I can, and had thought of getting him fit for a month, then advertising him.

Guys - anyone got any suggestions of what is the best way to go???

Thanks v much indeedy..

Bx

Kelly1982

Visit site
I would bring him back into work and start advertising him now.

The market is really slow at the mo anyway so better sooner rather than later and then just explain to people that even though he is back in work he is slightly unfit at the mo.

I dont think people will mind too much as it gives them a chance to get used to him slowly before the hunting starts and its not like he has been off for ages.

The only thing is you may have to compramise on price slightly with him being unfit so if you are looking for a bit more money then wait the month.

Its totally up to you how you play it but if he doesn't sell straight away you may find yourself halfway through the hunting season and still no sale.

bellasmum

Visit site
You have to start getting him fit now, I would personally advertise him with the hunt, they are bound to know of someone wanting a good horse for this season

racingdemon

www.facebook.com
Cubbing will be starting soonish, and everyone i know has now got their hunters up, so i would start road work now, and advertise him now as a hunter, do not mention anything other than hunting in the ad, people looking for hunters want just that, not anything else, and lots of things are forgiven in hunters that would be considered bad in an event horse

"hunter (size age etc etc) 2 seasons with surry Union, excellent manners, sane sensible, easy ride, blah blah, if you like mention he has just come up from grass hence cheaper price, and you could suggest the price will increase once the season starts

people looking for a hunter are going to appreciate most are fat & flabby now, so don't let that worry you

good luck!!

bandit

Visit site
RD - lots of good points - thank you.

i will drag him out of the field htis w/end and get cracking - will also go and visit the master and ask if he knows anyone looking - i did hear his wife was so perhaps there is some chance with him.

He's not fat at all funnily enough, but is out of fitness by about 2 months so will start walking him and doing all the road work necessary...

thanks again.

Bx

RunToEarth

Visit site
Yes a lot of hunters from our area look around september time, and there are a few auctions featuring hunters ready for the season.You will get more for him if he is fit, even if it not upto hunting fit.