Selling a little stallion - gelding and pricing questions

pennyturner

Visit site
Thinking of selling little Blue in the spring. He's 6, 13hh, blue roan NF with an exceptional temperament. He's done lots of hacking and a fair bit of driving (single and pair), but no schooling to speak of. Quite unusual in that he is so kind and quiet that he's safe for little ones and beginners, even out on the roads. He is not lazy - just too chilled to feel the need for speed. He did pony rides at the local fete last year, giving 50+ kids (some of whom were under 3!) a ride up and down the church lane, with infinite patience. I can see him being worth big money as a first ridden if properly produced, but he won't get the schooling here, and being field-kept he will be a hairy, muddy beastie, rather than the nicely-presented little show pony of most people's dreams.

Obviously I want to geld him here first. Is this best done now, or later in the spring? Would you stable him, or turn him out again right afterwards? I think I can rely on him to be sensible in the paddock.

Once gelded, what kind of price would you expect to pay for such a 'rough diamond'?

Leo Walker

Visit site
You might find at 6 they want him in the surgery. Every vet I've ever used says 4yr old and up they go in, and some say as young as 2.

Price wise I have no idea as ponies arent my thing but he sounds like something a lot of parents would be interested in!

rara007

Visit site
Does he have 'fashionable' lines? He's too tall for a FR (and that's geldings only though obviously you are planning this)- could he do opens? Would he fit in 133 WHPs? Could he do private drive or is he a bit too quiet? Or is he more potential all round PC pony?
Sooner the better flies and hormones wise but I would expect them to want to do him under GA, I wouldn't want mine done standing at that age.

WelshD

Visit site
He sounds lovely

He is too tall for first ridden unfortunately and although not small for a New Forest he may be dwarfed in the opens (and if aimed at opens could be more saleable as a stallion)

If he genuinely would measure in at 13hh and you think he has a chance in the show ring then I would seek an experienced showing eye locally and ask whether he would cut the mustard as a show hunter pony type or if he jumps then working hunter which he could do plaited or as an M&M. If he were to measure out officially by even half a centimetre over 13hh it would count him out almost completely - no one wants the smallest pony in the 14hh category (some have done it but not many)

Having said all of that there is a lot to be said for a good allrounder for pony club and this may ultimately be where his strengths lie

Its not the most popular of breeds for showing and things have been made worse for NF ponies with the re-jigging of the HOYS open qualifiers which will no doubt have an effect further down the ranks

Personally I would pay up to £1000 for him if I thought he was of show quality but I think more people would think nearer to £500. When it comes to ponies people have an unrealistic idea of value sadly. Would he not have more value being sold as a driving pony if he has a lot of driven experience?

Last edited: