Selling a more forward going horse

Vickijay

Visit site
I thought I would ask some advice. I have a horse advertised, I will keep it very general about her as I don't want the thread to be pulled as I just need to know what people's thoughts are.

The horse is very smart, but small ish at 15.1 or 2 and she is rather forward going and buzzy. She isn't naughty, but she is young and a bit jazzy, plus she is ginger and so I found it hard to put a price on her.

I figured if she was slightly quieter to ride she would be worth around the £4000 mark, so I took £1000 off and thought I would get lots of interest. Wrong.

Now a few friends that have seen the advert have mentioned that they thought she was under priced for the pics and stuff the horse has done and people would have looked at the quality of the horse and at the price and thought she must have been a nightmare as she should be lots more.

Now I'm stumped, if I advertise her for less then people will presume the same again, and although I want to sell her as I have 6 to ride now, I want it to be the right home. I thought I had priced her realistically to sell her but it seems not.

Has anyone had any experience of this?

Thanks in advance :)

kassieg

Visit site
Is this your little chestnut mare?
what has she done competition wise?

If she has done a bit of everything unaff then i would pop her up for 5k :)

Tobiano

Visit site
I am a novice really but am often surprised by the (high) amount that horses are advertised for when they are really only suitable for capable / ambitious riders - so I probably would say like Kassieg, stick the price up a bit and see what happens.

Bernster

Visit site
It's so odd isn't it, the psychology of price and how it impacts adverts. I think I might have seen the ad, is it on fb? If it's the one I'm thinking of, I thought she was a bit underpriced. I do think there are enough people who will pay a decent price, despite the bad market, for a good horse. Just might take longer.

ghostie

Visit site
Having just bought a horse i really wouldnt expect it to be cheaper just because it is forward going and needs a competent rider. Id'have said that is a decent horse. Under 10 and done a bit of everything unaffiliated without major issues I would think at least 5k

Polar Bear9

Visit site
I've seen your mare advertised and thought she was very reasonably priced, she's lovely and if I was looking I would be very interested. I often read 'forward going' adverts to be 'it's mad' but yours didn't come across like that. I think your issue may be her size, nice 15.1s are a bit of a niche market.

ghostie

Visit site
I've seen your mare advertised and thought she was very reasonably priced, she's lovely and if I was looking I would be very interested. I often read 'forward going' adverts to be 'it's mad' but yours didn't come across like that. I think your issue may be her size, nice 15.1s are a bit of a niche market.

Although hard to find a nice horse at that height. I wanted one in that range and looked for over six months before giving up amd getting a bigger one!

Ella19

Visit site
Depends what she does. Jumping ponies tend to go for far less. My buzzy, quirky 14.2hh mare had only really been show jumped bs juniors and was up for £2500, which is average for bn vs jumping ponies. Allrounders who have done a bit of rc/pc or even happy hackers seem to go for more which is crazy!

kassieg

Visit site
Although hard to find a nice horse at that height. I wanted one in that range and looked for over six months before giving up amd getting a bigger one!

Quite a lot of people want nice 15.1/15.2s for their teenagers to event so i actually think her height is a positive :)

budley95

Visit site
Fizzy little horses can be a pain to sell. Mine was as safe as houses, didn't even care about dustbins being emptied by the dustbin truck next to her hacking, but took a year to sell. Pony club website, riding club and as a potenetial eventer for a teen is the best way to sell (if you think she'll be able to do it). I'd put her up for 5k ono. If people are going to judge her for being chestnut and think that's the reason for a lower price, I wouldn't want them having her! Good luck, I hope you find her a lovely home.

Vickijay

Visit site
See I thought I priced her fairly as she isn't anyone's ride as wouldn't be suitible for someone who was nervous or new!

It's such an odd one. She isn't naughty at all but people have read that she is because she's not mega money. I have been completely honest about her and then people probably think I'm lying, which is funny too. Too many dishonest people around!!

She is just a bit keen, but I love her froward thinking nature, it is what makes her ace in my opinion. She is very classy, the little orange one.

Auslander

Visit site
I think yo've priced her (downwards!) out of her market - which is for competent older teenagers who want a fun youngster to bring on and have a load of fun with eventing. I know you. and I've followed her progress, so I know what she's like, and I think her buzziness is what makes her the sort of horse that a teenager would love. Think about the sort of ponies that a lot of them are coming off - a mini horse who is just as much fun as a whizzy pony is a positive! I think that you see her jazziness as a negative, when it could in fact be her biggest strength.

If it was me, I'd delete existing ads, take a couple of weeks to get her out cross country schooling, take her to a couple of parties, and go and charge round Windsor Great Park with her, and I'd get a competent teenager on her - all with loads of photos - then readvertise at a higher price. If anyone queries the price hike - she's been out and done all the above with no dramas, and she's totally worth more money.

kassieg

Visit site
See I thought I priced her fairly as she isn't anyone's ride as wouldn't be suitible for someone who was nervous or new!

It's such an odd one. She isn't naughty at all but people have read that she is because she's not mega money. I have been completely honest about her and then people probably think I'm lying, which is funny too. Too many dishonest people around!!

She is just a bit keen, but I love her froward thinking nature, it is what makes her ace in my opinion. She is very classy, the little orange one.

I wouldn't drop her price because she's not suitable for a novice, she isn't the type i would suggest a novice goes for so i wouldn't drop her price due to that :)

She looks like she would be a cracking little horse for a confident teenager & people will pay good money for her

Sheep

Visit site
I think yo've priced her (downwards!) out of her market - which is for competent older teenagers who want a fun youngster to bring on and have a load of fun with eventing. I know you. and I've followed her progress, so I know what she's like, and I think her buzziness is what makes her the sort of horse that a teenager would love. Think about the sort of ponies that a lot of them are coming off - a mini horse who is just as much fun as a whizzy pony is a positive! I think that you see her jazziness as a negative, when it could in fact be her biggest strength.

If it was me, I'd delete existing ads, take a couple of weeks to get her out cross country schooling, take her to a couple of parties, and go and charge round Windsor Great Park with her, and I'd get a competent teenager on her - all with loads of photos - then readvertise at a higher price. If anyone queries the price hike - she's been out and done all the above with no dramas, and she's totally worth more money.

Totally agree Auslander. I am a total novice when it comes to selling but I've seen the wee mare's pictures and she looks fabulous (like all your horses!). She would be a great choice for a competent, confident teenager who is ready for the challenge of furthering a younger horse's education.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
She's definitely underpriced. I think that Auslanders advice is spot on. :)

Remember, not everyone wants 16hh plus, I won't buy anything that big for example - 15.1 - 15.2hh is ideal. Chestnut is a perfectly reasonable colour for a horse to be, so she shouldn't have her price lowered because of that (I love chestnut :)) and being safe but forward going is also a plus IMO. She's pretty much perfect in my eyes (could only be improved if she was a registered PBA :p).

Annagain

Visit site
I've followed her progress and agree she seems a little underpriced. Adorable Alice's advice is spot on. Go XC schooling, get some great jumping photos of her and re-advertise her.

Having said that I'm helping a friend look for a 14hh pony for her daughter and her mum (so grandmother/ granddaughter share!) and the discrepancy in price between very similar poines is incredible. They've seen everything ranging from £6000 to £3.5k and there's very little difference in them!

QueenDee_

Visit site
I too expected to see a higher price at the end of her advert when I saw her pop up on FB the other day.

It is also worth bearing in mind that most teenagers are still finishing off exams/A levels etc for the next couple of weeks. Thus I'd echo Auslander's advice and take her ads down, have a couple more weeks fun with her and then re-advertise at a higher price, you may find that in a couple of weeks more teenagers are looking.

Annagain

Visit site
I've followed her progress and agree she seems a little underpriced. Adorable Alice's advice is spot on. Go XC schooling, get some great jumping photos of her and re-advertise her.

Having said that I'm helping a friend look for a 14hh pony for her daughter and her mum (so grandmother/ granddaughter share!) and the discrepancy in price between very similar poines is incredible. They've seen everything ranging from £6000 to £3.5k and there's very little difference in them!

That should say £600 :eek:

touchstone

Visit site
I haven't seen her pictures, but it sounds as if she'd sell without a problem at a higher price. I love horses that are forward, a bit fizzy, but not strong and the height would be perfect, so I'm sure there are plenty of other riders like me out there.

oldie48

Visit site
Never under price a horse, it's easier to take money off for the right purchaser than add it on and I'm always put off by horses that look too cheap. she would seem to be a fab fun horse for a competent and competitive teenager, not a plod but a well educated forward ride, just what many people are looking for. good luck, I hope you find a lovely home for her.

Kati*89

Visit site
I noticed when you said she was going to be for sale and kept an eye out for the advert, definitely at least 1.5k less that I thought she would be!
She is so pretty, a nice size (you don't have to be a teenager to want a 15.1/15.2) that's the only size I have ever had :) I really wish I was in a position to buy as at that price I would have snapped her up...she is just like my current share but jumps so even better! There are quite a few small adults that look for something smaller and easy to keep to do well at dressage in particular.

Golden_Match_II

www.event-stablebarn.weebly.com
If she was for sale at a different time I would have bitten your hand off at the price she is at - I saw it on FB and tried to persuade my mother that vet school exams aren't stressful enough and I therefore needed a young 15.1 chestnut mare to bring on for eventing but sadly she didn't buy into that idea haha.

In maybe 18 months time she is exactly what I will be looking for but our budget for a horse like her would be 5-6k if that gives you a better idea - I'm a competent young rider competed to BE Int and she would definitely appeal to someone like me. Market her as a potential junior event horse/top end PC/RC - I genuinely believe she will fulfil that potential, and it will attract ambitious people who aren't afraid to go forwards :)

ilvpippa

Visit site
If she was for sale a year later when I've finished my pgce. I'd have snapped at her for the price she is. She's get on with my retired ginger mare very well!! Both buzzy!

sarahandwilby

Visit site
She sounds just like what I was looking for about 5 years ago - but couldn't afford!
Tbh, if when I was looking and a horse looked to be just what I wanted, but was within my budget (<£3k) with no obvious 'negatives' (e.g. ex-racer (not saying that is a neg, but does tend to lower price), very green, old, bit ugly etc!) then I was a bit suspicious as to why it wasn't more. I don't know your horse, but wouldn't say that you should lower the price just because she's not a kickalong sort - a lot of people don't like that :)

Liane

Visit site
I wondered why she was so cheap when I saw her ad on FB. I think she is underpriced. I like the idea of taking adverts down, doing a bit more/few parties and readvertising at higher price.

Vickijay

Visit site
Well that seemed to be a resounding "too cheap" lol. Sorry Orange!!

It shows that sometimes you can't do right whatever you do!! She isn't naughty but I thought I priced her realistically to sell.

I have 6 to ride a day so the plan of keeping her and doing more will be exhausting, but I will carry on and do some more with her :)

Thanks everyone :)