Selling a saddle on eBay

Arzada

Visit site
I've never put a high value item on eBay so I'm looking for advice on selling a saddle this way. I'm happy for people to view it but it will be for collection only, no postage. I realise this will limit the market but it's a saddle that is rarely available and if I wanted one then I would travel to collect it. I'll accept PayPal payment but reading about this the new code that is sent to the buyer sometimes doesn't not scan so that would be a problem. Also happy for bank transfer or cash.

I could also use FB but I have very little experience buying/selling on there.

I'm interested in others experiences, both buying and selling saddles. Thank you

Abacus

Visit site
I've both bought and sold saddles on there and I do offer postage to make it easier for buyers who are a long way away. Alternatively you could say that they are welcome to arrange a courier or Anyvan. On the whole it has been fine and no bad experiences. People may ask for all sorts of measurements so try to pre-empt that. I don't think Ebay uses Paypal any more so this might not be an issue.

webble

Visit site
I have sold and bought a few saddles on ebay with no issues, I would offer postage especially given the cost of fuel these days. I regularly buy off ebay too, and havent had problems with paypal. Ebay gives buyers the option of paypal, bank account and card these days not just paypal

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Yes I have sold a couple of saddles on eBay and posted Royal Mail special delivery signed for. All was fine

Ditto - I usually get a big house moving box from B&Q and some bubblewrap and package that way with an old pillow or blanket I might have lying around stuffed in too if need be, over the important edge bits like the pommel and cantle.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I've sold and bought quite a few saddles on Ebay I post mine parcel force signed for and insured.

I only ever had 1 problem I sold a saddle while someone hacked my ebay account, I didn't realise until I noticed the email from them saying the money had been released to me the account details were not mine.

I didn't send the saddle and cancelled the sale until eBay had sorted out my account, the buyer got there money back and it was sorted out after after many phone calls to eBay.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I've bought and sold several western and stock saddles on ebay and always offered postage, you limit your market too much otherwise and won't get a decent price unless you are very lucky. It's not hard to pack up a saddle, even a western saddle. Just charge appropriate postage (pack and weigh and check what it will cost, then add some for time/packing materials. £20-25 would be reasonable, more if you want insurance on it. Get the money in the bank via Paypal before sending and get tracking. Don't use Hermes (or whatever they are called now).
I only ever had one issue which was a seller who went to ground as soon as I paid, and never sent the saddle. It was resolved/refunded by ebay eventually.

Marigold4

Visit site
A problem with postage though is that Parcelforce insurance doesn't go very high, think only £100 or £200. So if the saddle is valuable and is damaged or doesn't arrive, you aren't covered for this loss. You can increase the insurance but this can be expensive.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
A problem with postage though is that Parcelforce insurance doesn't go very high, think only £100 or £200. So if the saddle is valuable and is damaged or doesn't arrive, you aren't covered for this loss. You can increase the insurance but this can be expensive.

Yodel are a great option for this. I insured something up to £150 for £7 and they go a hell of a lot higher than this for not too much money, and it's fully tracked play by play on the website

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Ditto all advice given. I've sold a few saddles on ebay both treed and treeless (treeless MUCH easier to package up!!). Be very picky who you use for postage; don't use the cheap-and-cheerful ones as your package might not get there.

Also in your advert make it 101% clear that once the item is sold you will not offer a return.

I sold a treeless saddle a few years back now. Sold it as "collection only". Buyer rocked up, saw the saddle and said yes please she'd take it. I said would she like to sit in it (offered to put it over a couple straw bales); no thanks says she as we've had a saddle like this before and so know what its like so no need.

She said it was for the kiddy's pony and they'd try it on that evening; we both agreed that if it didn't fit the pony she could bring it back for a cash refund.

She parted happily with her cash and I thought no more of it. Heard nothing from her so presumed saddle fitted pony OK.

Some SIX MONTHS later she unexpectedly got back in touch and demanded (not asked, demanded) I refund her the price of the saddle because it "didn't fit". Apparently they had left it till then to put it on the pony they'd bought it for. Truly astonishing, but apparently not. When I said sorry no can do she got all antsy and said that the saddle I'd sold her was the "wrong size" and she knew this because she'd been on to the makers of them (this brand of treeless saddle is made in Devon - they are all hand made). She made herself thoroughly unpleasant basically. I explained that our arrangement was that had the saddle not fitted the pony on the evening of when she'd taken it home, I would have happily refunded her - but NOT after six months later!! The damn cheek of the woman!

So be aware........ there ARE some bleddi difficult people out there who will take the Yellow Liquid big-time, and this one was obviously one of them.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I sold a saddle on ebay once, it all went smoothly, the buyer knew the saddle & the size and I took it to a show that we were both going to. She came over to my lorry took a quick look that it was as described, paid me & that was that. Use paypal because you have certain rites with them.

CMcC

Visit site
I have sold saddles on eBay, previous replies have covered all the queries/problems. Postage was not a problem but low insurance was - I just took the risk but would have been expensive to upgrade insurance.

Also sold a saddle on Facebook marketplace, I found this was better. The contact was more personal between buyer and seller (you can also Facebook stalk your potential purchaser and I guess buyer would Facebook stalk you! I found although buyer lived 200miles away we had a couple of mutual friends, so was reassured she was genuine.) Buyer did travel to collect the saddle, it was expensive and I think she wanted to check it out before buying, she paid cash when she came to collect.

planete

Visit site
I would also rather sell through Facebook than Ebay. I have both bought and sold saddles through FB. Just make sure payment is through Paypal goods and services for protection, there is a small fee but nothing like the ebay charges. I also make sure the Paypal payment is transferred to my bank account before parting with the goods. My latest saddle was bought from a fairly local FB advert and we arranged a trial with a fitter present. You can not do that with eBay as it is against the rules to contact the seller directly.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I would also rather sell through Facebook than Ebay. I have both bought and sold saddles through FB. Just make sure payment is through Paypal goods and services for protection, there is a small fee but nothing like the ebay charges. I also make sure the Paypal payment is transferred to my bank account before parting with the goods. My latest saddle was bought from a fairly local FB advert and we arranged a trial with a fitter present. You can not do that with eBay as it is against the rules to contact the seller directly.
Agree, definitely try FB first. No fees and using local pages or brand specific pages your more likely to get the buyer who is close enough to collect or looking for that exact saddle as you say and are willing to travel.