Selling an older horse

Angela2604

Visit site
I've owned my horse for 6 year now and he is 16 year old. Since I have owned him my friend and I have been looking after each others horses (sharing responsibilities). Now my friend says that she is going to have to sell her horse and I feel that I may have to do the same. There are also other reasons that I have been thinking about selling him.

The problem is that I would only sell him if I could guarantee that he was going to a really good home and that he would be well looked after. I'm not sure how easy he would be to sell as he is an older horse and he has bone spavin so can only be used for hacking. I'm sure that he would give the right person years of enjoyment though.

Has anyone had experience of selling a horse similar to mine?

Thanks

Tia

Visit site
Before you do anything, have a word with Patches on here.

My advice; be VERY careful to whom you sell your horse to. There are too many horror stories. If possible sell/loan to someone you know or at least someone who is known by someone you know.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I agree with tiaribbon - try to sell to someone you know and even then you could put her on a months trial or something first to make sure your horse and the people are happy. Word of mouth is often the best way to sell so ask around locally / through local riding clubs etc.

chestnut cob

community.webshots.com
How about putting him on loan for a while first? That way you could make sure you're happy with where he's going, plus you have some sort of control over what they do with him if he's got physical issue.s

Sparklet

Visit site
I sold my old horse at about the same age. She is a hack now instead of both of us beating ourselves up because we couldnt do dressage.

I did think about putting her on loan but I dont think you get the same committement from the rider - they all go through naughty phases or get injuries and I didnt want that being used as an excuse to return her because she needs a settled life.

It has worked out really well though and there are people out there that want an older horse that has done a bit.

Angela2604

Visit site
Thanks for all your messages. I have thought about loaning him out but I agree with Sparklets message. I would rather him go to a permanent good home as I feel a loaner would be too eager to give him back if things didn't work out. I am hoping that I could sell him to someone who would keep him for the rest of his life (maybe a bit unrealistic I know!).