Selling an out of work horse at the start of winter?

Jingleballs

Visit site
I’ve decided to sell my cob gelding but I’m not sure whether or not to list him now or wait til Spring.

I’m not so concerned about the money – a good home is the most important thing but he’s not been in work for a few months and my yard doesn’t have great facilities so it will be really hard to get him into shape to sell him.

I rode him yesterday in our tiny, uneven, stony arena and he felt a bit flat and sluggish – not his usual flashy self although that may be more due to lack of fitness and the rubbish arena. We do have good hacking but I’ll only manage to ride one day at the weekend and it's now getting too dark to hack during the week. I wonder if it’s better to wait til spring when I’ll hopefully have a bit more time and there will be more daylight for hacking so that I can get him in better shape so that people can really see how nicely he can go? Or given his type (steady, sensible cob – with the bonus of having lovely paces) would I be worth chancing it at this time of year? He’d be perfect for a happy hacker looking to do some unaffiliated competing which is probably the market I’d pitch him to so maybe it doesn’t matter that I can’t show off his flashy paces right now? The fact that I was able to just hop on yesterday after 3 months off at a new yard with horses running around next the arena and he didn’t bat an eyelid is probably what’s of more value to people right?

How much would it put you off as a buyer if you weren't able to properly ride the horse in an arena?

madlady

Visit site
Not having an arena to ride him in certainly wouldn't put me off viewing. I'm a confirmed happy hacker and I personally would be more interested in taking him out in traffic and open spaces.

Is there anywhere nearby that does have facilities that you could hire/use if someone really wanted to try him in that sort of environment?

wench

Visit site
Do you have the time to ride him once a week? If so that would probably help then he couldnt be quite described out of work!

3OldPonies

Visit site
I'd be interested, if I were actively looking. He sounds just the sort I'd be looking for, sensible enough to hack and do the odd show on. For me, not having an arena isn't a big deal, I'm definitely in the happy hacking club so that he goes well in traffic and open fields is far more important to me than how well he behaves in the relatively controllable atmosphere of a school. Also, as I'm a bit out of practice myself since my association with my friend's horse came to an end (they moved to another yard recently so all fanciful ideas about sharing or taking him on are out the window now) the fact he's a bit unfit wouldn't worry me in the slightest - we could get better together gradually over the winter and get to know each other then be ready to get out and about more in the spring.

Jingleballs

Visit site
There is flat ground - I'd be able to arrange for him to be lunged in the field. The arena is sufficient for a walk trot and maybe a canter but it's only about 20 x15 and almost circular due to the state of the corners. Apparently there is a new arena being built but I'm not holding my breath.

There are other yards nearby but nothing within hacking distance and I don't have a trailer.

Jingleballs

Visit site
I am going to try and hack him out once a week to build up his fitness. I could also probably manage to lunge him in the arena or do some work in walk to help improve suppleness etc - its just not a surface I'd like to work him in too much.

muckypony

Visit site
It wouldn't put me off. Mine was sold under similar circumstances and I was only able to sit on him in the field and couldn't have him vetted as there were no stables.

Just be careful who you sell to as people interested in that type (out of work etc) will often be looking to sell on, or have no idea what they're looking at!

fattylumpkin

www.thestoryofhorses.com
I'd want to ride but not in an arena, so it wouldn't put me off too much, an honest ad works :) like others have said though, I'd be a bit suspicious of people's motives for buying and look into the buyers as much as possible before selling.

Kezzabell2

Visit site
If money isn't an issue, I would try and move him on now, give him the winter to get to know someone else, who might have the facilities to do more with him!

I've just started riding a mare who's not been worked since August, got straight on her yesterday and she was lovely, unfit, so will need some time to build her up but they have a school with a light, so I can school her using half the school in the evenings during the winter! and also if my horse comes sound I can take him up there too and school them both!

So I'm sure there would be people who were interested, or you might find someone like me with a lame horse who is desperate to keep riding, that might have the time to pop up and ride him a few times a week to help you out :)

Jingleballs

Visit site
Unfortunately Kezzabell2 I've struggled to find someone to share him - even at my previous yard where there were better facilities and amazing hacking I had one person come see him and they weren't suitable.

Any homes will be thoroughly vetted (references etc required) - I am tempted to get him working again just to allow me to put the price up to keep the numpties away! I don't need to sell him but I'd just love to see him get the attention he deserves - he doesn't ultimately care and is happy as a pig in muck right now.

Equi

Visit site
I tend to buy in the winter more. It means i get to really bond with the animal and then in summer im ready to do stuff.

huskydamage

Visit site
Would you let someone do a trial ? If they were local could use their own facilities then. I only sat on my pony for about 2mins no vetting, but I had her on trial at my yard for a week I bought her at the end. I know not everyone would be willing to do this but personally I would never want to buy a horse without having it on trial preferably at my yard so I can try in my facilities\set up and see how we get on and if it loads!

Annagain

Visit site
What about loan with view to buy? It would negate the need for any prospective buyer to try him quite so comprehensively as they'd have time to get to know him before committing. If you were to put say a 6 month time limit on it the money/time you'd save over the winter would be considerable and they would be able to make an informed decision.