Selling an unused riding hat

mustardsmum

Visit site
So have my sons riding hat which I bought a while ago (its dated July 2015, PAS 015 2011 and is a Champion Jnr X-AIr Plus) which he never wore. Its been sat in a cupboard all that time and looks in new condition, as it was never worn - there is no compression of the lining and the cover is perfect. Can I sell it? It seems a total waste to chuck it in the bin! We got it in case he fancied a ride (never did in the end) so it literally sat for years in the box. This weekend, he decided to have a ride on my horse (well he is 19 now....) and obviously he only now fits my hat!

I do see people saying that after a few years the materials degrade, but is that through use? If its sat doing nothing, would it still be safe enough for a child to wear?

I never normally sell our old hats (they usually don't make it to needing to be thrown away, one of us always falls off or as I did the other day, cracked my head on a branch...) so never thought of selling a hat before.

Skib

sites.google.com
Riding hats have a sell by date. After that, the foam lining can harden and degrade.
I know because I bought a replacement Gatehouse HS1 from the shop of a reputable saddler. The maker asked me to return it to the shop and posted me a replacement. I remember it clearly as the shop I relied on was a long drive from home.
I fell off pretty regularly while learning to ride and it cost me a fortune in new hats.

mustardsmum

Visit site
@Skib when you say the foam lining, do you mean the padding or the actual protective shell of the hat? As far as I can see, its all looks pretty sound. But obvs, I don't want to part with something that would not be safe (hence this post) and I am not sure whether the materials just degrade through time, or whether its the combination of time and use. Any thoughts from anyone else?