Selling horse - clipping opinions.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Horse will be up for sale this winter (ie. as soon as he's ready!). He will be competed until sold and since he gets a VERY fuzzy coat and is a very sweaty type, I figured I should clip him (plus it would make him look more tidy for prospective buyers!).

I usually give mine trace clips. But Im wondering if I shouldn't since it might put some buyers off! ie. those who dont clip might be worried about keeping a new clipped horse cosy etc.!

I know its a weird thing to think about, but I do remember going to see a horse once (looking to buy) who was fully clipped and I did think "oh crap, how am I going to keep THAT thing warm" as all my horses winter out!! It wouldnt have put me off buying it but Im worried some people are THAT picky nowadays......

What do you think?! To clip or not to clip?

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I would clip as it would make the horse more comfortable. A fully clipped out horse shouldn't put buyers off as they one day will have to clip and would save them a job!!

MagicMelon

Visit site
I would give him a trace probably. Although in his case, I MAY fully clip him (ie. not legs or head) as I think he is going to be one seriously hairy dude.....!! I would definately clip him in the work he's in (if I wasnt selling him).

lillie

lilliedodger.proboards99.com
well i would rather see him clipped if i was looking at him because if he's sweaty after being tried what impression does it give them when he'sdripping with sweat & will take hours to dry off!! - 'oh my god how am gonna dry this thing, i probably need 2 or 3 cooler/wicking rugs to soak up all that moisture'

my horse is hunter clipped (with legs on) & he is ridden for 2-4 hours a week but when he is ridden he gets so hot & sweaty it is better for him to have it all off!

Kelly1982

Visit site
I would clip personally and if he was mine he would have the lot off (apart from legs and head).

I also think it looks a lot tidier for potential buyers but at the end of the day if they cant see trough a clip then do you want then owning your horse??

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I would clip - I would wonder why he was not if woolly and competing - it would start me thinking he was not good to clip which in my eyes is essential. A trace clip will be more than fine and they can stay out on that if well rugged.

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I think it depends on the type of horse as too what clip you are going to do and the discipline you are selling him for, to make the biggest impact. ie, if he is cobby type that is just used for hacking then a trace clip would suffice, but if he was used for more work then a neat blanket or full clip maybe needed.
But I would definately clip him, anyone with an ounce of sense when buying a working horse in the winter would expect it, I think. It also shows buyers that he is happy to be clipped. It also shows you that they are prepared to put in a little more care, use him and are horsewise.
Hope this helps
Dawn

Oaksflight

Visit site
Clip him, I don't know many people who don't clip nowadays, and if they don't it's due to their horse being scared, or them never really riding it!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Thanks everyone. So clipping it is then! He is a cobby type but will be doing competitions (SJ, dressage etc.) so not just hacking. Yeah, a blanket clip might be best for him.

Im fully clipping one of mine but he will still be wintering out 24/7! Obviously rugged up to the eyeballs. But last year I gave him a blanket clip but even then he was still too hot competing (he's a very hot type!) and never got cold outside so Im going to give him a full one this year (well, not legs or all his head).

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
If he's cobby type then defo the blanket clip - it looks wonderful on that stamp of horse.

AmyMay used to look cracking with a blanket clip.

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
You said you want to clip him and he's up for sale ?

I have the perfect solution
grin.gif

Teddy%20for%20sale.jpg