Selling Horses, can you be too honest?

tibby

Visit site
I am trying to sell my horse, I have advertised him locally and online but have no interest in any of my ads, my OH and family have told me that I have been too honest in my advert. My answer to this is that I would rather know that I have described him honestly, rather than waste peoples time, if someone was looking for a nice, cheaper horse with a few quirks then they know what they are coming to see. I am now prepared to be shot down in flames!!!!

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I think you are advertising him the right way. I put in my advert that my old horse had a collateral ligament injury and couldn't be schooled/do dressage and that he needed a properly competant rider. He went to a home that seem really happy with him and know his quirks, that makes me happy.
I wouldn't change your honesty policy, but perhaps the advert could do with tweaking, better pics etc?

Pheme

Visit site
Yep. I get totally put off by ads that seem to state problem after problem, even though I'm looking at project horses. Surely these horses are good at somethings, sometimes! Sometimes "needs work" after mentioning the most problematic thing/things about the horse is enough.

indie999

Visit site
Um as a buyer I would be glad to be told the truth. I have recently contacted a buyer and have felt my questions have been a bit evaded, in fact I cant believe how slow they are at getting back to me(which alarm bells are ringing to be truthful). I keep reading how people get time wasted when I am trying not to waste time.

I suppose you should market all the really good points that your horse has,what its done. Unless he has some terrible vice I dont think any horse can be perfect. But thats just me. At the end of the day if you are buying a horse I would hope the buyer will MOT the horse fully before purchase.

I am sure someone with more experience will view your ad for you on here privately to help you.

Crazydancer

Visit site
As a recent buyer, I agree the potential purchaser should have all the info, warts and all, but maybe not all of it has to be detailed in the advert. If they like the horse enough to call about it, you can then elaborate and discuss the 'quirks' fully, it's so much easier than just reading in black and white.
Although I was often put off with the expression 'not novice ride' without any further explanation.....

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
As a recent buyer, I agree the potential purchaser should have all the info, warts and all, but maybe not all of it has to be detailed in the advert. If they like the horse enough to call about it, you can then elaborate and discuss the 'quirks' fully, it's so much easier than just reading in black and white.
Although I was often put off with the expression 'not novice ride' without any further explanation.....

Agree with this. Adverts shouldn't lie, but should advertise. To me, they should contain more factual things, such as what the horse has done, height, age #, disposition etc Only if there is a major problem which dictates why the horse can't jump, or why it is so cheap should it be put in the advert.

Some adverts waffle on too much. Adverts should be to the point, not "he does x but I think that it will be alright if you can ride, and my teenage neighbour who had her C+ manages..." All that sort of stuff can be told over the phone/email. Then you should be as honest as possible and tell them as much as you can. I'm not saying pull them in with an advert that isn't true, as thats wasting their time, but you can leave the "he sometimes naps if the rider is not confident, so isn't a novice ride" for the conversation not the advert.

Tickles

Visit site
as above ^^^

You can't be 'too honest' but you can give 'too much information' in an ad. Smaller quirks can be mentioned by phone.

Flibble

www.annamason-art.co.uk
Sometimes I get suspicious of honest Ads because I suspect a smokescreen of them telling the small things that are wrong because there is something else going on. I once bought a horse that didnt like tractors and found she didnt like Anything.

Flame of Hope

Visit site
This is a really good question, I am currently trying to sell my Selle Francais mare & had no interest what so ever. Its really flustrating becasue she is great and such an honest mare.
I just don't know where i am going wrong.
I think she is well priced given her education/experience but still nothing.:confused:

L&M

Visit site
I have only sold 2 horses and both I advertised 110% honestly - I wanted to ensure the horses went to the right homes, with owners who could cope with them warts and all...

Although I only got a few calls per horse, those that called were serious buyers and both horses were sold to the first viewers. I also had the piece of mind that there would be no 'come back' as knew I had been totally truthful about the horses.

Both horses have been, and still are, in the same homes and I still recieve regular updates on them, which is lovely.

The market is very slow so just keep the advert as it is - the right person will come along but just may take a while.

Good luck!

Last edited:

diddydavies

Visit site
It is a tricky balance. Basically I would look at emphasizing the positive and only mention some of the negatives.i.e If your horse doesn't like heavy traffic etc. Other negatives should be explained once the prospective buyer contacts you. You will get a feel as to the suitability of the match. Don't forget that you are interviewing them just as much as they you. Some faults appear worse when in black and white than when discussed 1 to 1. The ad needs to attract as many callers as possible, the more callers the more opportunity you will have of finding a new owner.

From the buyers view
I am in the process of looking for a horse and am fed up of owners not disclosing major faults, problems, niggles when i call them. Have just travelled 550 mile round trip to see a horse that has a major fault making it absolutely unsuitable for my requirements and was never mentioned during my several conversations with the owner.
:rolleyes:

indie999

Visit site
I am glad if people are honest obviously as a buyer. If they have a horse they really care about they will tell you all the good and all the bad bits if they want to find the right buyer & for it to go to a good safe home.

Tomz I am going to see a horse and apart from a couple of niggly doubts it sounds good! Being pessimistic it actually sounds too good to be true!

I have been very direct but polite with my questions and just dont like people pussyfooting around me with nonsense.

Also on ads I wish people once you have spoken to them would give you a blooming landline number if you are a serious prospect & are coming to have a look. Its a lot of money usually involved too.

Next step for me if this one is no good is to put in a WANTED ad(I posted today about it as have many others). Then a good dealer after that!

Previous poster,if you travelled 500+ miles that is awful. How annoying! When I purchased a horse 11 years ago, 4 horses I saw were unsuitable, not as described and it was only when we got there we found out we had been utterly lied too despite my phone interrogation. Eventually we hit jackpot! So I know it will happen.

As I have just started looking am trying to keep it local but have seen one in Scotland which is too far unfortunately.

lucille

Visit site
your in a no win situation

describe him honestly
(random example) does get over excited and buck when cantering in an open space
and people will assume, that if its bad enough for you to mention it, you are actually suggesting that "horse would be better suited as one of those rodeo bulls hired out for BBQ's and such entertainment"

Dont mention it, and the horse bucks when they try it out, you are then a "dishonest seller" and "have wasted there time"

as I said, no win situation.

I think its all in the wording though. :) xx