Selling horses... how to let go of that guilty feeling?

fuze

Visit site
Any experiences?

I've been finding myself getting on much better with my boy over the past few weeks. Now I've taken a deposit on him, I'm feeling really rather :frown3: about him going. He can't stay, my new boy is already here (who is perfect), and I know that I don't have the time or finances to put into him to really do him justice.

The family he's going to is lovely, but I can't shake that sinking feeling when I think of him being loaded up and leaving. Gah... what's the secret??

Daytona

Visit site
You just have to suck it up I'm afraid. I was heart broken two weeks ago when my boy left, spend the evening before sat in his stable crying :-(

On the day I dropped him off at the yard he was going I tried not to think about it and left swiftly.

Since then I've thrown myself into my new horse and tried not to think about him, where he is or what he is up to.

Life moves on.

Ella19

Visit site
It took me ages to find the right home but once I had I was ok. Day before got the wobbles about saying goodbye and had a good cry when she was loaded and went! I get regular facebook updates and photos though which is lovely, so ask if you can stay in touch.

Megibo

Visit site
Mine was taken straight home by the first people to see her! I felt so bad to move her as she was a sensitive girl and neighed to my other mare as she was driven away... I had a really good cry!

I dont feel guilty anymore as she's gone somewhere perfect, I went to visit her before closing the sale and she looked fantastic and was loving where she was and her 'new people'. I miss her sometimes but i keep in touch over facebook and she's doing just fine so pretty good experience for me as I've never sold a horse before but we just weren't right for eachother!

fuze

Visit site
Maybe now new horse is there you have relaxed with other horse and it worked, food for thought

I think having my new boy there, rideable, up and running has meant there is less pressure on getting the youngster going. I'm getting my horsey fix from newbie, so taking things slowly with the other isn't as stressful. That's probably why we're getting on better, but that knowledge still isn't helping the fact that I'm going to be very sad to see him go :(

The family who are having him seem lovely, but they're a 3hr drive away. They're very keen, and it's an ideal sounding home, I think. Very bittersweet.

mandyroberts

Visit site
I have never sold a horse. The bravest I got was giving back a horse I had on loan to buy my first horse (as opposed to ponies when I was young). The horse I bought I would have sold if I could in the first year - but he turned out to be my horse of a lifetime and the two boys I have now will never top him in my heart although I love both of them

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
The guilt I felt selling my boy was awful BUT once it was done and he was gone I felt alot better. I just couldnt get on with mine and was desperately struggling with having 2 youngsters. So sold the 5 year old and bought an 8 year old that's done alot more. Im still in touch with the new owner which is nice xx

MiniMilton

Visit site
Prolonged goodbyes are the worst! Once he's going to a nice home then you have nothing to feel guilty about. Once he's out of the yard you'll be able to move on easier. A good cry too when he goes will get it all out of your system!