Selling of two youngsters.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
My best mate has two youngsters for sale. They're lovely, calm and kind. One is part broken in too.

The thing is they've being advertised for nearly a year now, originally at £2000 they're now under £1000 but nobody is buying or even showing interest.

Any advice on how to sell these two? :}

Thank you!

Holly Hocks

Visit site
You need good photos - good conformation shots. It also depends on the breeding. Unless they're something exceptional, you can get good youngsters for just a few hundred pounds at the moment. And the time of year isn't good for selling - nobody wants a youngster standing around just eating at this time of year. Hopefully she might get some interest in spring.

SamanthaUK

Visit site
You need good photos - good conformation shots. It also depends on the breeding. Unless they're something exceptional, you can get good youngsters for just a few hundred pounds at the moment. And the time of year isn't good for selling - nobody wants a youngster standing around just eating at this time of year. Hopefully she might get some interest in spring.

They are beautiful. The filly is skewbald the gelding is spotted.
Daffy the filly is a rising 2 nearly 3 year old. She's being long reined with tack on and she was perfect. At the minute she stands at around 15.1hh/15.2hh. Her showname is Daphne Heartbreaker. They're thinking she's going to make a good allrounder as she's muscular and has long legs.

Captain (The Captain is his showname) is a rising 2 nearly 3 year old. He's a spotted and of mixed breeds. He stands at around 14.2hh now. They don't know much about his breeding or bloodlines as they were both bought at auction.

I just thought i'd help practically advertise because they're getting frustrated at them just eating all the grass and making a mess basically. So if anyones interested please message me for more details. :)

be positive

Visit site
They are of the type that is at the moment available for not very much money, however beautiful they may be they are of unknown breeding, too young to start proper work yet and someone else will have to feed them and "put up with the mess" until they are of a useful age in 12-18 months time.
The best time to really try and sell is probably when they are in summer coats and looking really good, there will be more interest then. The price needs to reflect that it is going to be next year at the earliest before they will be able to be resold as ridden horses and even 4 year olds are not that easy to sell unless they are exceptionally nice.

Spring Feather

Visit site
After hearing more about the youngsters I'd say your friend should start getting a bit more interest in them having reduced their prices to more realistic ones. She'd probably get more responses if she were to hang onto them till they're 4 and under saddle but it's doubtful the returns would increase much.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
they're getting frustrated at them just eating all the grass and making a mess basically. So if anyones interested please message me for more details. :)

That's exactly what they're going to do for someone else if they buy them as well!!
I bought a 2 and a half year old about 2 months ago - a skewbald filly - I paid £600 for her including rugs - she had been taught to lunge and long rein and was really well handled. and I think I paid over the top for her!

MrsElle

Visit site
I am quite shocked at the initial £2000 price tag!

You see plenty of nice types of uncertain parentage for sale for well under £500, which might be a more realistic price, although your friend might need to drop the price even further.

Horses are only worth what people are willing to pay for them. They are obviously not worth £1000 if no one is showing any interest at that price.

katastrophykat

Visit site
They sound just like my boy- Ive been offered good money for him (probably because he is most certainly NOT for sale and won't ever be unless something goes massively wrong!) but that's always been when we're at shows and he's won a class/beaten some good horses/gone champ or reserve. No-one drives past the field and leaves a note asking to buy the bay mud monster!

And although he's worth every penny he stands me at (a good few thou when we add it all up to be fair!!) to me, on the open Market, he's a fairly well put together young crossbred, and probably £500 if I advertised him now. I'd certainly not want to spen more than that if I was buying one in! And yes- he's well handled, longreins in and out of a school, has been sat on and had a quick walk about. He has a proven show record to county level.

A good pic speaks volumes for me- if a nice horse is turned out correctly and true to type in a pic it usually means the seller is not a total fool and has probably put a decent start in place for me to build on and I'd be much more likely to call about it.

Best of luck!