Selling on of prescription meds/best before dates question

chaps89

Visit site
I presume this is a huge no no?
I have quite a bit of peptizole stocked up and due to go out of date so it seems silly to waste it but I don't think I'm allowed to sell it on am I?
Does anyone know if I needed to use it say spring next year if it would still be ok to use if I hung onto it?

meleeka

Visit site
Yes I think it is against the law although plenty seem to do it. Drugs can lose their effectiveness if out of date but I should think you’d be ok Id it were only by a couple of months.

SEL

Visit site
There's a FB site for selling on unused ulcer meds.

When I had round 2 of ulcers I still had 3 ulcergold tubes. They were a bit out of date but vet was fine with me using them.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks. I have a full course so 2 or 3 boxes with just 2 tubes used I think. So I don't think I'll get through it before it gets too old. Its expensive so if I can get a bit of money back that's always nice but tbh I'd just rather it wasn't wasted!
I'm not on Facebook but I might see if OH will oblige for me!

SpringArising

Visit site
You'll probably get eaten alive if you try to sell it on FB.

I hate those annoying folks who reply with something pointless like "You need a prescription for that!!" when anyone asks if anyone has any leftover sedative for their horse or whatever. I often wonder how people like that get through life.

Littlefloof

Visit site
Will your vets give you a refund? Mine bought back my previous dog's extensive supply of thyroid medication when the cancer got the better of him.

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
I presume this is a huge no no?
I have quite a bit of peptizole stocked up and due to go out of date so it seems silly to waste it but I don't think I'm allowed to sell it on am I?
Does anyone know if I needed to use it say spring next year if it would still be ok to use if I hung onto it?
I had a couple of packaged Sedalin syringes that I'd been given at some point years ago and my vets were happy to swap them for newer syringes because they would use them within days either on their day to day vets calls, or give them to a client who was going to use them within a short time limit. I think the Sedalin had a couple of months shelf life left.

SEL

Visit site
I do usually point out it is illegal, because it is and for important reasons, at least then they know and it's up to them what they do with that information. I get through life ok.

A lot of people don't actually realise its illegal.

I warned a YO a few years ago that I was giving something to the Appy that the vets hadn't approved (they have now) and he told me that it was my horse and I could give it what I wanted. I did actually have to point out that wasn't the case, but I was prepared to take full responsibility if it all went wrong.

chaps89

Visit site
Thanks, I'm not mad keen on selling on if I'm honest. I know the meds are legit, have been stored properly and it's the buyers risk I guess but I'm not totally comfortable with it!
I have messaged the vet to see if they would buy them back or swap them out as suggested though as that seems a good idea! I use the odd tube here and there (which is why its not full boxes!) but touch wood she's been ok so I just can't foresee using almost a whole course worth.

Regandal

Visit site
I'm on the fb group Horses with Ulcers, and there's always the odd post from folk looking to pass on/sell Gastroguard or other meds.
Take your chances I suppose.

SOS

Visit site
Absolutely illegal. Prescription only medication isn’t called that for the fun of it, it’s because the animal needs to be assessed by a vet and side effects weighed up, to ensure safe and useful effect. We all are too trusting on social media, would you buy your prescription drugs off a stranger who approached you in the street?

Some vet practices won’t refund back drugs they have sold as they have policies saying that will not resell them. This is because we don’t know if they have been tampered with, stored correctly etc. All vet practices should take in drugs for safe disposable.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Thanks, I'm not mad keen on selling on if I'm honest. I know the meds are legit, have been stored properly and it's the buyers risk I guess but I'm not totally comfortable with it!
I have messaged the vet to see if they would buy them back or swap them out as suggested though as that seems a good idea! I use the odd tube here and there (which is why its not full boxes!) but touch wood she's been ok so I just can't foresee using almost a whole course worth.

My vet will always accept unused meds and refund the cost. Well, except that I had to have an argument with one of the receptionists once but she soon learned the error of her ways!:)
That was Prascend, which was bloody expensive and of which the vets regularly give an initial few weeks supply prior to the first re-test, so an opened box should have been no problem to them.

SpringArising

Visit site
If my horse is going to have a reaction he's going to have a reaction regardless of whether or not my vet has come out, run his hands over him and told me he looks fine, charging £50 for the privilege.

If you think each horse in a racing yard has had an individual call out from a vet before getting a dose for turn out, farrier, travel then you will have a shock...

ADVERTISEMENT​
1540393628225-foreground.png

1540393628225-static.png
1540393628225-static.png

1540393628225-background.png

Absolutely illegal. Prescription only medication isn’t called that for the fun of it, it’s because the animal needs to be assessed by a vet and side effects weighed up, to ensure safe and useful effect. We all are too trusting on social media, would you buy your prescription drugs off a stranger who approached you in the street?

Some vet practices won’t refund back drugs they have sold as they have policies saying that will not resell them. This is because we don’t know if they have been tampered with, stored correctly etc. All vet practices should take in drugs for safe disposable.

Auslander

Visit site
If my horse is going to have a reaction he's going to have a reaction regardless of whether or not my vet has come out, run his hands over him and told me he looks fine, charging £50 for the privilege.

If you think each horse in a racing yard has had an individual call out from a vet before getting a dose for turn out, farrier, travel then you will have a shock...

I think you're rather missing the point. It's illegal to sell prescription drugs without a prescription. Using a pro yard as an example isn't really relevant to the discussion either. The drugs they carry a stock of are supplied by their vet to the owner/manager of the yard on the understanding that they know how and when to use said drugs.

If I see someone looking for/trying to sell prescription drugs on a Facebook group, I'll point out the legalities. I don't care if people have a pop at me for it. They're defensive because they're trying to justify the unjustifiable.

SpringArising

Visit site
Can you rationalise the first part of my post for me?
ADVERTISEMENT​

1540393628225-static.png
1540393628225-static.png

I think you're rather missing the point. It's illegal to sell prescription drugs without a prescription. Using a pro yard as an example isn't really relevant to the discussion either. The drugs they carry a stock of are supplied by their vet to the owner/manager of the yard on the understanding that they know how and when to use said drugs.

If I see someone looking for/trying to sell prescription drugs on a Facebook group, I'll point out the legalities. I don't care if people have a pop at me for it. They're defensive because they're trying to justify the unjustifiable.

SOS

Visit site

Yes your horse will may have a reaction regardless, the check over is to try AVOID this. *facepalms* If you think that little of vets then it’s not really worth arguing, I’m sure you know much more and should maybe open your own online illegal POM pharmacy?

PS. All your posts have huge adverts in which is very annoying as it blocks up the forum.

Auslander

Visit site
Can you rationalise the first part of my post for me?

Sure. It's not up to the owner of a horse to decide to dish out prescription only meds - it's up to the animals vet. Most vets are happy to agree to dispense certain meds after speaking to the owner over the phone, but the decision to prescribe is up to them, not the owner. If they feel that further investigation/a visit is required, then so be it.

SpringArising

Visit site
That didn't answer it at all - you just reiterated the fact it's illegal, which is something I already knew. I want to know how speaking to a vet on the phone is going to mitigate the risk of my horse having a reaction. It's not a trick question!
ADVERTISEMENT​

1540393628225-static.png
1540393628225-static.png

Sure. It's not up to the owner of a horse to decide to dish out prescription only meds - it's up to the animals vet. Most vets are happy to agree to dispense certain meds after speaking to the owner over the phone, but the decision to prescribe is up to them, not the owner. If they feel that further investigation/a visit is required, then so be it.

SpringArising

Visit site

Yes your horse will may have a reaction regardless, the check over is to try AVOID this. *facepalms* If you think that little of vets then it’s not really worth arguing, I’m sure you know much more and should maybe open your own online illegal POM pharmacy?

PS. All your posts have huge adverts in which is very annoying as it blocks up the forum.

I know, there is already a thread discussing this if you want to have a look.

Again, I know that. What I want to know is what specific test the vet is going to do which is going to tell me whether or not my horse is likely to react. Can you tell me?

SOS

Visit site
I know, there is already a thread discussing this if you want to have a look.

Again, I know that. What I want to know is what specific test the vet is going to do which is going to tell me whether or not my horse is likely to react. Can you tell me?

There is no “specific test”. The vet assesses the clinical signs of the animal, health status, considers the history, may take a blood sample and uses this knowledge, paired with the knowledge of the drug, known side/adverse effects and its impact at biochemical level, which allows them to make an informed decision on whether the use of the drug is justified in the animal.

For commonly used drugs and healthy animals this may appear as just ‘waving their hands over’ but inside their head is a whole wealth of information deciding whether this drug is suitable for that animal. And I know I’m repeating myself but don’t just take my word for it, take the law!

Auslander

Visit site
That didn't answer it at all - you just reiterated the fact it's illegal, which is something I already knew. I want to know how speaking to a vet on the phone is going to mitigate the risk of my horse having a reaction. It's not a trick question!

I was answering, but Saddleoversofa just explained it better than I ever could.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It is up to the vet whether they want to check a horse individually or not as they are the ones that take responsibility for the prescription.
Who has the responsibility for facebook sales?

conniegirl

Visit site
There is no “specific test”. The vet assesses the clinical signs of the animal, health status, considers the history, may take a blood sample and uses this knowledge, paired with the knowledge of the drug, known side/adverse effects and its impact at biochemical level, which allows them to make an informed decision on whether the use of the drug is justified in the animal.

For commonly used drugs and healthy animals this may appear as just ‘waving their hands over’ but inside their head is a whole wealth of information deciding whether this drug is suitable for that animal. And I know I’m repeating myself but don’t just take my word for it, take the law!
I will add that it also has to do with drug interactions and also horses medical history,
there are plenty of medications that you should not give to lammi prone horses, some that are very dangerous if the horse has a heart problem, others where if the horse has a snotty nose it could lead to a chest infection as they suppress parts of the immune system, drugs that cannot be given to horses with stomach ulcers.
Also a vet will take into account the owner circumstances, for example a lot of medications can be very very harmful to those handling it particularly pregnant women or those trying to get pregnant, Regumate is a prime example of that, as is the common treatment for ring worm (which is a reproductive mutagen and causes severe birth defects in children who's mothers are exposed)

conniegirl

Visit site
regumate can cause miscarriage and permenant damage to the fertility of women! so I for one wont have it on the yard.

SEL

Visit site
regumate can cause miscarriage and permenant damage to the fertility of women! so I for one wont have it on the yard.
We had regumate prescribed for a mare at my last yard which was owned by a teenage girl. She was giving it to the horse without use of gloves or actually much care at all. I was horrified!

The FB ulcer selling group is a very typical FB group with no (obvious) oversight. If you sell or buy or there then you definitely do it at your own risk.

chaps89

Visit site
My vets won't buy it back so that's that. I shall hang onto it for a little while then if it goes in the bin, well that's how life goes sometimes.
It's been interesting reading this thread though!