Selling question - trials/deposits etc

Kadastorm

Visit site
Hi, I have a few people interested in my pony I have for sale with some viewings this weekend. From talking to them, I already have in mind which family I would like him to go to but I guess I won't know for sure until they have ridden him and I have seen what they are like with him.
He is up for £3750ono, I am really fond of him so home is more important than price but he was bought as a project so of course, a tidy profit would be nice too.
Anyway, I have been out of the selling game for a long while (last project I kept for 3 1/2 years and lost him in December to injury) and wondered what the current way is regarding trials and deposits etc?
I was thinking 10% deposit and a weeks trial?

Does this sound fair?

be positive

Visit site
I would be very wary about offering a weeks trial, however much you like the home it is a huge risk to allow someone to take a pony to "test out" for a week during the school holidays, if they seem keen and suitable let them come to you several times, maybe take him somewhere away from home to try out, lesson, xc schooling, possibly a show, that way they get a fair trial with less risk to you, he could return after a week lame, having failed the vet or really unsettled.

I have let a few go on trial but they have been older 1st type of ponies that have been there done it and got the t shirt so unlikely to fail in a new home, with something younger they are less likely to settle in so quickly and if the people feel they need to get the most out of the trial they may be tempted to rush and spoil things.

Kadastorm

Visit site
Thank you for the reply, I do agree that it's something I am very wary about. He is 8yrs but very low mileage after being turned away due to lack of time. His full history is known as my friend owned him since he was a foal, buying him from the breeder.
He is a complete saint but as he is still early on in his education, I worry. Never bucks or rears, is working beautifully in the school and now jumping a small course of fences, hacks alone and in company etc - would hate for him to be ruined.
The potential buyers do live some way away but I may offer them a few tries this week to make sure they are happy and it allows time for vetting.
Thank you.

jrp204

Visit site
10% deposit only refundable on a failed vetting. No trial but would let them come and ride as much as they want under supervision. Full payment on collection in cash.

be positive

Visit site
Thank you for the reply, I do agree that it's something I am very wary about. He is 8yrs but very low mileage after being turned away due to lack of time. His full history is known as my friend owned him since he was a foal, buying him from the breeder.
He is a complete saint but as he is still early on in his education, I worry. Never bucks or rears, is working beautifully in the school and now jumping a small course of fences, hacks alone and in company etc - would hate for him to be ruined.
The potential buyers do live some way away but I may offer them a few tries this week to make sure they are happy and it allows time for vetting.
Thank you.

He is definitely not a candidate for going on trial, if it went wrong it could go seriously wrong, if they are capable then see how they want to play it, most experienced homes will not expect a green pony on trial, hope it goes well.