Selling saddles, where's best?

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Evening,

Am fairly disheartened, I have 2 saddles to sell, both used for 6 months only and in great condition, but looking on Ebay it seems there is no market for them! One I'd be happy to get a couple of hundred for but the other I'd have though would have been worth about 1k.

What are the options? Is there someone who would buy both and sell on, or is it worth trying FB selling groups?

Should I just accept that won't get much for them and put on Ebay no reserve?!

Malteasers & mince pies for all

GoldenWillow

Visit site
I've managed to sell a couple of saddles, one sold on Preloved for around £600, the other on a fb group for that type/brand of saddle. I had a lot of time wasters from fb sites particularly though. Good luck it's very disheartening, I've another saddle I *should* sell but keep putting off.

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Is it worth me asking you if either might be suitable for B Fuzzy?
I'm still looking.....but had sort of given up 3 months ago as couldn't find one to suit.

One is a fairly straight cut silhouette saddle that been widened so would probably be too wide for B Fuzzy, the other is a GFS XCH S1 cob with adjustable gullet so might work but both are 17" so could be a little long for B Fuzzy ?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
One is a fairly straight cut silhouette saddle that been widened so would probably be too wide for B Fuzzy, the other is a GFS XCH S1 cob with adjustable gullet so might work but both are 17" so could be a little long for B Fuzzy ?
My bum is happy in a 17 and both current saddles are 17 , one of mine fits v well but it's a native whp saddle which isn't ideal for hacking and xc, so am (still!) using the flipping Wintec as it's the best fit to date!

dominobrown

Visit site
I have a load of saddles to sell... at least 4, probably 6.
Last saddle I sold I had bad experience... it was a wintec, but was new, still had tags on and I sold it with another gullet too for £200. Person got the saddle to try in january, didn't pay for it until late march, used it extensively and wanted a full refund in may as pony had changed shape. ?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I've found FB is pretty good as long as you're not in a rush to sell and don't get disheartened by the occasional cheeky offer in the process. I've sold my last 3 saddles (bates/WOW/equipe) each time for asking price (or within £100 of it) but it has taken a couple of months each time.

Diddleydoo

Visit site
I've sold through Sheepham Saddles and The Saddle Bank. Both take less commission than saddles direct but it's a waiting game until the saddle finally sells.

I agree that there are a lot of time wasters when using the likes of Facebook and Preloved.

tristar

Visit site
i have a thorowgood T4 cob adjustable i bought for a youngster who was very wide and fatish but is now slim and fitish i only used it till he slimmed down its as good as new really where would be good place for selling that please? as i`e other saddles hanging around, but its such a waste when someone could make use of it, thanks

AFB

Visit site
Probably not the best time of year tbh, everyone spending on Xmas instead. I've been trying to shift a couple of bits around the £50-£150 price mark (both approx half the price of when new) and just can't get rid.

doodle

Visit site
I have an ideal event saddle for sale. Sat at the saddlers for 2 years till i took it back. Been on ebay for 6 months. Been on Facebook for same time relisting it every so often and nothing. I am asking £150, saddle said worth £700, have had a few "is this still for sale, can i have more pictures" but nothjng. I just want rid now.

Leo Walker

Visit site

I had the exact GFS saddle but in a 17.5" It has been used very sporadically for about 6 months as well. Probably sat in less than 30 times. I got £330 for it and that was after about 3 weeks or so of advertising on Facebook. It didn't get a single bid at £300 on ebay.

SamBean

Visit site
I've also got a silhouette saddle sitting redundant which I only used half a dozen times and not sure what to do. It is 16.5" brown VSD that I had made for my short backed and shark fin tb I love it and is so comfy but can't imagine there being many horses out there it would fit. I'll probably look at it for a while longer!

ElleSkywalker

Visit site
Am even more scared to advertise them now! Might put the silhouette on local Fb groups, as I only want 350 for it. The GFS may end up staying as I do have the horse it fits still (I actually have two of the same saddle) and dont want to get as little as LW got for hers ?

catembi

Visit site
I had two nice saddles to sell & tried them on FB Marketplace & FB groups for the saddle make, but got messed about so much that in the end I sold them to Sheepham Saddles. I was trying to sell them about 6 months apart & each time got infuriated with all the faffing trying to sell privately. Sheepham were v helpful & lovely & also saved the worry of 'the saddle is 'lost' in the post, / 'damaged' / not as described - I demand a refund' nonsense.

Flyermc

Visit site
i sold my saddle via ebay (buy it now option) but as collection only, aswell as advertising on fb. i had loads of people wanting it, but i refused to post because off the risks and i just wanted someone to pick it up. It did take a year to go, but it did sell.

OP - just list them in as many places as you can for the price you want and see what happens, its generally free to advertise in most places and obviously wont sell, if no-one knows they are for sale :)

Leo Walker

Visit site
Am even more scared to advertise them now! Might put the silhouette on local Fb groups, as I only want 350 for it. The GFS may end up staying as I do have the horse it fits still (I actually have two of the same saddle) and dont want to get as little as LW got for hers ?

Saddlers only sell them on at 400 to 450 so selling privately I would imagine 350 is probably your ceiling. Its awful, but it doesnt matter what you paid for them new, its what people are prepared to pay you for them second hand that sets the price. I'd keep it, its a gorgeous saddle. I only sold mine as it was too long for the pony I had at the time, and I then intended to move to driving anyway.