Selling saddles

unbalanced

Visit site
Where are good places to list your saddles for sale online? I have two, an Albion and a western. The Albion did a week on eBay with watchers but no biters and is currently on preloved but no calls or emails. It is old but nice if you know what I mean. Martin wilkinson valued it at £350 last year so it can't be completely rubbish.
The western I rung a tack shop but they want 20% commission to sell which seems like a lot if I could do it myself online.
Home made cranberry scones for any suggestions.

ladyt25

Visit site
I guess you have to be realistic what price you will accept for it. Set a reserve maybe but nothing too high. I am not sure an old saddle will sell for £350 when these days you can pick up quite decent saddles, and of course now adjustable saddles new/nearly new for not much more.

unbalanced

Visit site
Thanks. I put it up with a starting price of £250 (this is the Albion) rather than a reserve because it was about £11 to set a reserve and £2 to have the higher starting price, but none of the watchers bid :(. Do you think it would be better to go with the reserve price instead, or maybe a buy it now?

Proud Wexford Hero

Visit site
Thanks. I put it up with a starting price of £250 (this is the Albion) rather than a reserve because it was about £11 to set a reserve and £2 to have the higher starting price, but none of the watchers bid :(. Do you think it would be better to go with the reserve price instead, or maybe a buy it now?

I have just sold my Albion through preloved, and it took 2 days. It was a second hand saddle when I brought it and I managed to get £500 for it, so the buyers are out there. It depends how desperate you are to sell it, but you shouldn't feel like you have to give it away. I also listed mine on eBay, but no one bid, but had 12 watchers. Have you tried the saddle selling page on Facebook? I had a couple of enquiries on there.
Are you offering to post the saddles? As I think that you limit the interest if you don't offer. It only cost me £15 to post with parcel force 48 - hope this helps? X

Last edited:

ladyt25

Visit site
Well, we just sold one on ebay and think we put a starting price of 99p on but we set a reserve instead. It was admittedly a low reserve (£50) but we just wanted rid of the saddle really as it was of no use to us at all as didn't fit any of our horses. It was a Falcon event saddle so a decent enough saddle but no saddler would take it to sell or in p/ex even though it was in perfectly good condition. They just can't sell 2nd hand saddles as easily these days.

I think if people see they are going to have to pay at least £250 for a saddle then they probably aren't going to bid unless you're lucky and someone is specifically looking for that saddle. Amymay may have more advice if she's sold a few more. However, I think the age of it is important.

At the end of the day if it's no use to you any more it really doesn't have a worth so you either sit and wait to try and get £250 for it or you maybe take a loss and accept £100 less?

martlin

www.martlinequestrian.co.uk
E-bay does well :) You list it with a start bid of 99p, put a reserve on and a 5 or 7 day auction, ending on a weekend evening. It will sell, unless you are unrealistic in what you want for it.

unbalanced

Visit site
It's been on preloved for five days - I'm hoping that when it's not a 'new' advert and people can see it without paying to get my details I wills start to get calls. I haven't said anything about posting it on preloved (but didn't say I wouldn't either). On ebay I said I would ship it (at buyer's expense) or they could collect.
What's the saddle selling group on facebook? I don't know that.

Sarah20

Visit site
I would say EBay also. Currently have mine on there and a few bids. I never use a reserve price, just list it for the minimum I want to sell the item for. I don't think Buy it now is a good idea either as most people would rather bid to get it cheaper. I have put collection only or winner can arrange with own courier same as you. I am selling a Thorowgood so not v.expensive - Have been keeping an eye out but even brand new ones people are selling are going for 100-150 cheaper than what they are to buy from shops etc.
If you keep editing on Preloved it will come up as a new ad all the time so higher on the list :)

Proud Wexford Hero

Visit site
It's been on preloved for five days - I'm hoping that when it's not a 'new' advert and people can see it without paying to get my details I wills start to get calls. I haven't said anything about posting it on preloved (but didn't say I wouldn't either). On ebay I said I would ship it (at buyer's expense) or they could collect.

It's called 'saddles for sale and wanted' :)

Orchardbeck

Visit site
I made a profit on all of the saddles I sold on eBay - I don't start them at the full price I want, usually a bit less as I think you need to take a risk if you want to make money; I don't put buy it now on, and if you want to see interesting results try the 99p route, or perhaps £30. If you play it too safe you may find you get no takers but it depends on the saddle.

I had a nice show saddle I bought for £200, which sold for £330, a rubbish Indian thing that went for £80, and another cheapo bought for 80 and sold for 140, an ideal bought for 180 and sold for £240. So i'm not talking massive margins, but it is possible to get your money back and maybe make a profit if you are sensible about what you think people are prepared to pay. I was surprised every time!

paddy555

Visit site
I too am looking to sell a saddle, a HM phoenix, probably on E bay. I have never sold on E bay.
To consider the pricing can anyone tell me how much commission I will have to pay and if there are any other charges.
How do you get payment? If you ask for payment through paypal does the seller have to pay commission to paypal so I would have to structure that into my hoped for pricing?

is it better to ask for cheque or bank transfer?

would be grateful for any help please.

unbalanced

Visit site
Yes the seller pays fees through PayPal. However most buyers would much prefer to use PayPal than another method of payment as it gives them protection and it is faster and more private.
Your eBay charges depend on what you are selling and whether it is buy it now, auction or reserve. They have a help page with all their charges listed. From time to time they do free listings weekends but I never know when they are and am pleasantly surprised when it happens.

Right my Albion is on eBay with a reserve. I also emailed saddles direct about it - does anyone have any experience of them? They said they would sell it for £495 and give me £297 or they would expect me to get £350-400 on their (paid) classifieds.

Highlands

Visit site

But remember free members on preloved have to wait 10 days before they can reply.