Selling Sedalin???

Flash_28

Visit site
I bought a tube of Sedalin to be able to clip my youngster as he has a bit of a skin issue and is a bit scabby. I got some Sedalin from my vet but then read the clinical notes before using it which advises not to use Sedalin on stallions. He is a 2 and half yr old colt as he just hasn't been ready to geld or weather hasn't helped us. Spoken to my vet and there is another sedative that would suit him better due to him being a colt. They won't take back the tube of unused Sedalin as its not under clinical conditions anymore. So my question is can I sell my tube of Sedalin as I would rather use this other sedative on my colt. If not I will have wasted £30 on a sedative I don't use. But don't want to get into trouble either! Just wish the secretary had realised that I had cancelled 3 gelding appointments so suggested this other sedative in the 1st place.

Noodlebug

Visit site
I would tell your vet to take it back and replace with the different one. If they knew he was a colt and not suitable they should foot the expense. They probably won't lose that much money as there is such a large mark up on drugs!

Flash_28

Visit site
I've been with these vets for the whole time I've had my youngster and have been great so don't want to annoy them too much. I did ask on the phone about it after I read the clinical notes and was advised that they can't take the drug back as they can't sell it as even though I haven't opened the tube it is no longer under clinical storage conditions so they can't re-sell it. Hence why they won't take it back. But being a prescription drug I just wanna make sure that I don't do anything illegal!

YasandCrystal

Visit site
You will no doubt have no problem selling it to anyone who uses it for example for a nervous horse with the farrier etc. If someone has used sedalin before they would have no issue with buying from you. Offer it at a discounted rate say via your farrier and you are sure to sell it :)

Bennions Field

Visit site
flash, as sedalin is a POM it would be illegal to sell on, hence why you can only get it from a vet who treats your horse. i would try pushing giving it back to the vets who prescribed it, they dispensed a drug to you that was not suitable for your horse. they shouldnt have given you a product that would not be suitable for your boy. have you spoken to them why it cannot be used. is it contra indicated or listed under the caution section, it may be that it is safe but should be used carefully.

hope the above helps

Orangehorse

Visit site
Ask them what constitutes clinical conditions? That generally refers to temperature. Since presumably you have kept it at home and it hasn't been subject to frost or high temperatures I can't see a problem. I think your vet is in the wrong here, they should have known not to prescribe this for your horse.

kezimac

Visit site
well i have returned cat drugs to vets and they refunded me no problem - so no reason not to. - not like it is temperature reliant.

Tr0uble

Visit site
Ask them what constitutes clinical conditions? That generally refers to temperature. Since presumably you have kept it at home and it hasn't been subject to frost or high temperatures I can't see a problem. I think your vet is in the wrong here, they should have known not to prescribe this for your horse.

It means it has been out of their control so they have lost traceability on it, and also cannot guarantee the safety of the product from, eg, tampering/ contamination.

lynseylou1

Visit site
agree with monks you could get into major trouble on reselling a POM . The VMD would be writing you a letter if they found out i expect... there is also a fine if they see fit. So better not to eh! Speak to your vet.... surely they can do something?

Tr0uble

Visit site
I can understand that, but if the box is still sealed?????

Daft isn't it, but even in a sealed box some may not. I work in food manufacturing and as soon as a product has been taken off tne lorry at a customer site, we can take it back but can't resell it.

little MJ

Visit site
Vets will not take drugs back as anything could have happened to them since they left the premises. They can't resell them as they can't be a 110% sure. Would you like to give your animal a drug someone else has had before?
Although I do agree if the vet say the colt should have it then they prescribed it and should take it back as it is a mistake.
You can get into big trouble for selling prescription medications!

millitiger

Visit site
I would expect the drugs to be taken back by the vet as they should not have been prescribed to your colt in the first place.

If they cannot resell the product then they should bin it and take the hit for the £30 as it is their mistake imo.

amage

Visit site
They shouldn't have prescribed it in the first place so they should take it back! I know our vets would def take it back....and £30?????????? Daylight robbery for sedalin!

Sarah_Jane

Visit site
Amazed at the price you were charged, you can buy on line delivered for £14! Yes you would need to pay for a prescription from you vet but could still work out cheaper, my vet charges £10 for prescriptions and I could probably have a couple of tubes of sedilin on that.

Flash_28

Visit site
Hi guys.

Thank you for all your advice. In the end I left it a few days and rang back to say that the drug was prescribed and I can't use it. Luckily they did take the drug back and re-credited my account. I bought some medicated shampoo in the end and his skin has cleared up without the need to clip him so quite happy with how everything turned out. Thank you again.