Selling the older horse

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I have a very smart 16.1hh horse who has come in to be sold. He is a super schoolmaster (bombproof, turn a hood to anything but will be slightly cheeky if not worked enough)- would do a stunning dressage test I took him out last week and he gained good percentages unaff with loads more to come despite probably not having done one for over 2 years and he has taught a vacuous clueless teenager how to ride. But...... he is 15 and now clueless teenager is more interested in boys so he needs to be sold.

He has only been lightly worked and looks like a 10 year old but his blooming age will put loads of people off.

So....

1) Would you advertise his age?

2) Will it come down to price? If so how much is he worth? He will easily pass a vetting.

I am off to take him xc schooling tomorrow and hopefully get some very decent photos before I stick him up for sale.

TGM

Visit site
Yes I would advertise his age, as if you don't people may assume he is even older than he really is! In his favour is the fact he is bombproof and a schoolmaster and many people looking for this sort of horse are happily to accept an older animal.

As for price I haven't a clue, as the market seems all over the place at the moment! I think a lot of people don't tend to want to pay big prices for these slightly older animals as they are worried that if they want to resell in a few years' time they will make a significant loss.

joeanne

Visit site
15 is hardly old!!!
There are plenty of people out there who want something thats not the silly insane creature some 4/5/6 yr olds are!
15 would not put me off at all!

Thistle

Visit site
There is a very good market for the event schoolmaster. Does he have a decent BE record.

If he has done Intermediate, has a good number of points you could probably get up to 10k for him.

If not then 6+

horses13

Visit site
15 is a perfect age for many and there is a huge market for the done it with 100's of miles left in the tank horse.
No idea regards price but i am sure there are 100's of people out there that would pay a very good price for the experience this horse has. Being 15 is a bonus. Look on it as positive and it will help selling it. Good luck.:)

kirkton

Visit site
Just to play devils advocat.....

Yes, we have a 17 year old horse that we love to bits and is a fab schoolmaster for my OH. Sailed round his first BE nov on Sunday clear. OH over the moon. When this one retires I'd love to get another one.

But in terms of value, you have to assume that if you buy a 15 year old horse that there is little or no residual value. So you have to make a judgement call as to how many years the horse will be able to do the job you want it to do and how much 'annual rent' you will pay for that.

eg you'll pay £1000 a year for an eventer and it has 2 season left = £2k

or you'll pay £600 a year for a riding club horse and it has 4 seasons left = £2400.

tabithakat64

Visit site
Genuine schoolmasters are really hard to come by I would assume that you will have people biting your hand off for your boy when you advertise.

15 really isn't old :)

Mickeymoo

Visit site
When we looked at our old boy we were told he was 17 and we took a while but as he was so well schooled we said we would have him. Then we got home and the lady rang and said she had just looked at his passport and he was 19. I asked if that reflected in the price and she said no as he was so good.

We bought him and have had him for 4 years now. He has took my husband hunting and bought him safely home. Alwaysbroke's daughter took him round the mini Ht at eland with just 2 stops. He gets 70% prelim dressage nearly everytime out, my husband can go to Vale View and Eland on him and come away with a win.. Oh and he does well in showing, last year placed at county. This year he is doing search for a star.

So, at 15, if it was what I was loking for at the time I would snap your hand off. Our old boy has bought so much to our family. He is one in a million.

As for price, we paid £2000 for him - a 15.1 cob of 19. We thought that was quite expensive at the time, but 4 years on, he owes us nothing.

wench

Visit site
[I have just bought a 14 yo. I was after something about 8 years younger, but somehow ended up with trigger! But what clinched it for me was he is very well bred, and has done up to BE novice in the past - he has got a whopper jump on him. We also know he sold in his younger days for a lot of money. However, if he hadnt done the BE novice, I wouldnt have been so interested in him.

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
I bought mine as a 15 year old, she will be 19 this year and is happily out eventing at intro level, hoping to PN later in the year. Everyone I've told her age to has been surprised as she doesn't look it or act it! ;) (she's as keen and forward going as you like!) She had quite an easy time of it in her early teens which has maybe helped. She's probably as fit now as she's ever been.

Agree with what kirkton said- price will reflect how long the buyer thinks they be able to enjoy the benefits of a "schoolmaster", but there is certainly a market out there. Plenty folk (like I was!) want a fun, nice but sensible sort of horse that can show them the ropes and let them get straight out having fun.

Good luck, he sounds lovely. :)

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Horse has not got a BE record as ridden by novices but with the right person would easily do intro this year and maybe go PN. One of the issues is that he has only really been ridden round 2'6 courses on a long rein with the rider just steering so ideally he needs to do some grid work and be encouraged to go shorter at fences as currently he is used to having complete autonomy and going a bit long. It will just help his atheticism as its all there just has not been accessed for a long time!

Weezy

Visit site
Shame he is not 15hh as I have someone looking for something like him ATM! We have had 2 yard friends buy older horses in the last couple of years and neither of them have regretted it for even a second.

If you DO happen upon a 14.2hh - 15.2hh schoolmaster that will jump 3ft all day long and do fun rides, hunt, dressage, etc., with an 11yo girl and her mother then let me know LOL!

marmalade76

Visit site
Just to play devils advocat.....

Yes, we have a 17 year old horse that we love to bits and is a fab schoolmaster for my OH. Sailed round his first BE nov on Sunday clear. OH over the moon. When this one retires I'd love to get another one.

But in terms of value, you have to assume that if you buy a 15 year old horse that there is little or no residual value. So you have to make a judgement call as to how many years the horse will be able to do the job you want it to do and how much 'annual rent' you will pay for that.

eg you'll pay £1000 a year for an eventer and it has 2 season left = £2k

or you'll pay £600 a year for a riding club horse and it has 4 seasons left = £2400.

I agree with this.

I bought my horse as a 14 year old and he has been just what I needed, but I have sadly had to retire him at the age of 17. You have to accept that if you buy an older horse you will never get your money back, so just as well mine cost only £1800.

I would like another oldie as I don't have the time to bring on a youngster, I need something thats ready to go but my OH is not keen for me to go for an older horse after our experience with this one.

1-2 years ago, the £3000 & under section in H&H had next to nothing in it, in this weeks H&H there is lots to choose from at that less than £3k. I think the most you could expect to get for yours is £2500.

millitiger

Visit site
as he has no affiliated record i would say around £2.5-3k- really talk up how safe he is, how he has taught novices etc etc.

floradora09

Visit site
I've just bought a 14 rising 15 yo event/pony club school master! :D my instructor had him and did up to PC open on him and sold when she went to uni... five years down the line he's for sale and he bought him with the hope to event up to PN for a 3-4 years :) obviously as he's older we're very careful about not overworking him and warming up and cooling down etc. xx

beckiebeckyboo

Visit site
it all boils down to price i think. we have a 15hh 15 year old who has won over £2000 showjumping, he s not sharp, rides lovley on the flat in a snaffle. my son jumped kids on horses on him last year. we ve also hunted and farm rided him. i often hack him and lead another off him. we ve known him for the last 7 years in that time hes introduced 3 different jockeys into jumping around 120m tracks. as long as you read the numbers he goes!! hes ace. but the lady that owns him wont take any less than £7000 for him hence 12 months later hes still here. im sure if she would take less for him he would sell

kirkton

Visit site
I have advertised a 16 yr old with 48 pnts, super school master etc for £6750, and had no interest.

I think your price is too high. You can lease a good event horse for about £250 a month, so at £6750 that equates to about 2 years lease.

Safer to lease for 2 years and have the option of handing it back if it does not work out or goes lame than to buy and hope you get 2 seasons out of it and a sound 18 year old at the end.

Shortcut

Visit site
Age wouldnt put me off, and at 15 I wouldn't class that as old! But I think I would judge that for my self by seeing the horse in the flesh. I hate it when people say looking for a 4-8 year old horse when there could be the most fab 15 year old that hasn't done alot, along with a mature attitude and has plenty of years left in him.

Most horses are at best in their teens anyway!

measles

Visit site
We bought a 15yo Grade A for 14yo son last year and he was worth his weight in gold - jumps 1.30's in a snaffle and is very forgiving. The experience son has got from this horse of larger tracks and how to ride a big moving warmblood has been invaluable and I'm sure there are other parents out there who would jump at the chance of a proven older horse.

I'm not so sure however about the horse OP mentions who has little competitive experience at affiliated level. To maximise the sale price perhaps the owner could get another rider to do a BE intro on a day ticket prior to advertising so that his ability can be demonstrated in a way that most competitive riders look for?