selling up?

noodle_

Visit site
Felt guilty about this for a long time.

I have a 3 year old youngster who I have always tried to do the best for. Ive had her 18 months now and as much as i think the world of her, shes currently living out elsewhere as Id like a break from horses as ive lost the spark.

I had another horse before her (youngster was her companion) who was my world - we competed, had fun and i loved riding, nowadays i have no interest.

Ive realised in the past few weeks its due to not having a horse i WANT to ride. So selling is my option.

I want something i can go out and have fun with - is broken now...youngster is only 4 next winter :( ... and needs to grow...she will make exactly what i want but not for another 18 months

The only reason why i havent sold yet is because i feel a guilt trip/to secure her future....hence shes living on grass livery as i have control over her future...plan was to bring her home to break her in next year (another 12 or so months of livery for a pet).....

Is it normal to feel this guilty ?? im trying to figure in my head how to keep two but financially i cant. Ive only ever had 2 horses pts and one sold (parents choice)...this is harder.....

I am buying another when i feel ready - but i cant keep postponing it can i? feel so bad.

:(

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'm in a similar situation. I had mine on expensive assisted/part livery and it was costing a fortune and was still a hard slog for something I didnt ride. Mines being turned away on full grass livery for him to finish off growing, and I've found a part loan to ride. Would that be an option for you?

The money I'm saving on livery more than covers the part loan costs, and also means I get some decent riding time in before I start properly riding my 4yr old :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would be wary of selling on something which you feel would be exactly what you want in a couple of years or less.
If you were to sell and buy another, there are no guarantees, as I'm sure you realise and you may come to regret selling the youngster. I have no idea about your finances but the idea of a loan or share, as above sounds good to me.
I think you also have to factor in the fact that at this time of year and in this weather, horses never do seem particularly attractive and many of us consider taking up stamp-collecting instead!

noodle_

Visit site
I think the other issue is I've added up the money save by not buying anther ... I can afford to pay off my car in half the time and save for a bigger more established horse next year if I wanted another.

It's the selling bit I'm struggling with. I know it's the right thing to do and I was only keeping. Her to secure her future. I swore I'd never keep a horse out of guilt and I am :(

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
TBH I think you will struggle to sell a 3 yr old in this climate unless the breeding is spectacular.

I agree.

However you wanted to sell her after you lost your previous horse, but was pursuaded to keep her. But your feelings clearly haven't changed.

Put an action plan in place to perhaps lightly back the youngsterin preparation to sell her during the summer.

Foxy O

Visit site
I would try sharing another horse so you have something to ride until you have sold your other one, but in the current climate you might not get a good price for her straight out of the field and as Amymay says do some work with her first and sell her in the spring/summer

noodle_

Visit site
She can stay as long as she needs too I'm not in a rush. I don't want to ride anything but my own to be honest!

Plan is to sell her and view some others and I need that click like I got from all my other horses. Haven't had it with this one sadly!

Her breeding a ok, her half siblings have sold for decent money to be honest even in a crap market.

Homes more important than price and I'd even consider a breeding loan.

noodle_

Visit site
hearts telling me dont sell and keep her - even though she isnt right for me.... only because im on a massive guilt trip about selling

Looking at other for sale ads and finding what i want for under £1000 (green as grass cob type to do some dressage), and realising this is what i want to do....

absolutely torn.

Leo Walker

Visit site
Sell! Life is too short to spend your time wanting what you havent got. I'm hanging on to mine as I would really, really struggle to replace him. Theres no shame in selling a nice young horse to a good home. I've always had a mini herd of youngsters, between 2 and 5 in total, and between weanling and 4yr old, who I run on, and when the time comes to sell them, I price them appropriatel, in fact a bit cheaply really! and I am very, very fussy about the home they go to. Almost all of them have sold by word of mouth as they are reasonably well bred, nicely put together, correctly handled youngsters who have been wormed, fed, etc as appropriate. I could have sold most of mine 10 times over. Never for very much, but in the current market they werent worth very much! They have all gone to good homes and I'm in touch with all of the new owners.mainly via FB. It makes me incredibly happy to see "MY" babies out hacking, going to their first show etc :)

Like I said I'm hanging on to the current one as things have changed and I can only have one horse now. I could sell him but I'd rather invest in him a little bit by letting him run on till hes ready to be my riding horse. If I'm being mercenary, I reckon the money I spend running him on is the difference between keeping him till hes ready and selling him and buying a ready made horse, and I have the advantage of adoring him and knowing him inside out :) Theres always horses to ride for no or minimal cost :)

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I speak from experience when I say sell. I sold mine that I just didn't click with though I loved him as a "person". I felt awful initially but much better once he was actually sold.
Life is just too short xx

noodle_

Visit site
Thanks all

any reccomended sites?

currently on a facebook site which some idiot has asked me if shes suitable for a novice (not quite broken 3 year old... go nuts...!)

politely told to bog off.

i can afford to buy myself something else - the money for her isnt everythnig but i think the price im asking wont attract too many idiots.