Send us your comments - win a bottle of champagne

HHO admin

Administrator
Visit site
Has anything in the horse world left you angry or elated recently? Horse & Hound want to hear your views.

Hot topics

WEG so far — what do you think of the Games so far, how the Brits are faring and the endurance tragedy

Too heavy to ride? Should riding schools cater for the larger rider, or will weight limits for riders protect horses?

The first huntsman is charged with illegal hunting — what are your opinions?

Send us your thoughts on these, or any other topics, by email to HHletters@ipcmedia.com. The letter of the week winner will win a bottle of champagne, courtesy of Spillers and Taittinger.

CastleMouse

Visit site
I'm really against the strassur trimming method
frown.gif
, but I'm sure a lot of people have expressed their views on that to H&H

horsegirl

Visit site
I quite agree, we would like to have a holiday to the YRC but their weight limit is (approx) 12.5 stone (according to their website) most men weigh more than this. My daughter and I are under this but my husband and son are not. My son is VERY skinny (30 inch waist) but is 6ft 4, does this mean horse riding is only for short people? I am not suggesting that people should ride horses regardless of weight but there are plenty of weight carrying animals out there. Come on riding schools, don't be size-ist!!

sojeph

Visit site
My 15.2hh, 15.1hh and 13.1hh nags carry more than 12.5 stone everytime I ride - however, I can ride...not sure I'd want someone on them that weight that can't ride! Do agree tho - theres plenty of nags out there that can can carry that weight and more!

Lobelia_Overhill

www.mymiscellanyhome.net
I injured my hip and back a couple of years ago and as a result my wieght ballooned, I've not gone riding since because I'm "too heavy". I'm on the verge of buying myself a heavy weight cob or a draft so that I can get back on board!

SarahRoads

Visit site
Having returned to riding after a 20 year break and two children – I was significantly heavier than the last time I sat on a horse! 13 stone to be precise! My chosen riding school (Stretton in Rutland) took this totally in their stride and had no problems finding me a horse for my lessons. In fact I have ridden three different horses/cobs at the stables so far and I am assured that there are many others that would be up to my weight.

Also since returning to the “riding” world I have had the great good fortune to be offered a wonderful mare on a loan/share basis and when I tentatively enquired if she would be up to my weight, her owners laughed their socks off and said she was up to far beyond my weight.

I think riding schools/centres who use this as an excuse are missing out on a huge market, true, I realise I am carrying far more weight than is good for me, and to become a competitive or advanced rider, my weight/fitness levels both need to be looked at and addressed, but many men weigh at least the same as I do or more – are they to be excluded from this sport also?

Of course, equines have to be protected from being overburdened, but surely anyone with the tiniest amount of horse sense can judge if a rider is too heavy for any given horse. Once again I think it’s a case of in with unnecessary restrictions and out with common sense – to the detriment of us all.

little_pink_piggies

Visit site
I'm going to change the subject here (sorry guys!) but I really do think that william should have run in some 4* comps this year. The three brits that ran at badminton were outstanding (Daisy, Sharon and Oli) as were the german team who all ran in 4*s! I think the results speak for themselves, I could be wrong and I am in no way comparing myself to Yogi or Lucinda! Also I think alot of the xc were caused because we have lost the steeplechase which was taking the 'edge' off alot of the horses who had troubles on sat, e.g. tamarillo and master monarch.

emma69

Visit site
We always had horses that could easily take tall men and not so slim ladies - it amazed me tho when I was looking for somewhere in the Hampshire area to hack with my then OH who at 6'5'' and fit weighed considerably more than the 12 stone most centres were limiting weight to. In the end I called one of the yards, explained the fact that OH was more than competent, and probably sat lighter than any 12 stone beginner could, and they found a horse for him. 12 stone does weigh most blokes of an average height and build out - fair enough if you are stocking the yard with ponies, but half of the yards with weight limits like that have big IDxTBs who are more than up to the job

Gingernags

Visit site
It is a bit mad, I guess we'll all have to write in for the bubbly!

But just to say, my mare is 15hh and 3/4 TB and carries me fine, never had back issues, and I'm more than the 13 stone mentioned above. Oh and my sisters TB carries me fine too. You don't necessarily need cobs and draughts!

Kelly1982

Visit site
Agree with CT.

I am 11.5 stone and ride a 15hh full TB. She has no problem carrying my weight and we have even had to put a stronger bit in her for jumping as she gets quite excited. I dont think she would do this if i was squashing her!!

I know riding schools are just looking out for the horses but i think they can carry a lot more weight than people give them credit for and turning people away because of this is unfair i think.