Sending a horse away for 2 weeks - worth it?

flyingfeet

Visit site
I am going to be out of the country for a few weeks and was considering sending my horse away to be trained

Do you think its worth it, or is it not really long enough

He is just a bit rough around the edges, has natural self carriage, but a loss of steering when jumping. Ideally I'd like to get out to attend some dressage comps, but have only managed to ride him at the weekends, so progress is slow!

TarrSteps

Visit site
It depends on how experienced and adaptable he is, and on his level of fitness. Two weeks is certainly long enough to produce improvement IF the trainer can use the whole time but it will be trickier if he struggles to settle.

Fitness wise, 2 days/week to 5 or 6 pushing the margins is a big ask. The trainer will do it if you ask but will have to tailor work to fitness, obviously, and again this can cut into the time.

Would you be sending the horse to your regular trainer/someone you are familiar with?

GreyCoast

Visit site
I was in the same position earlier this year. I sent my two horses away for training as I figured I had to send them away to livery, might as well be ridden too! I sent them to a racehorse breaker who also works with a lot of problem horses, of which I have one. Obviously they couldn't do a huge amount of work in 14 days, but it has been a massive turning point for my horse and I regret not doing it earlier. Best money I've ever spent, but then I had a problem horse and they gave me extra tools to deal with him so different from your situation.

My other horse didn't have any issues, was just fat and unfit and they did a great job of getting weight off her. They rode her around the trails with the breakers, nothing strenuous but good for improving her puff. It turned out great for her as she hated being ridden with other horses, she can be a bit funny about things behind her, but she came home happy with having a horse up her backside and with the trainer's dog running behind her. Saved me a lot of panic for her first public warm up!

Call the trainer and discuss what you're after. If you're specific about expectations the trainer should be able to give you an idea of what's achievable.

AusRider

Visit site
I think it totally depends on the goal you have for the training - as long as it is something that can be reasonably achieved in 2-3 weeks, then it should be OK. For example, if your horse has problems with steering, then sharpening up the steering might be a good goal. It may not improve it totally, but it may get it to a point where you can continue to improve it on your return.

As suggested, find a good trainer and call them to discuss what their abilities are with green(ish) horses and ask about what is achievable in a 2 week period.