Sending a horse for backing...

Char0901

Visit site
I've got a 3 year old homebred who I'm thinking about sending away for backing. I was going to do it myself (never have before but have loads of very knowledgeable support) but now it's nearly coming down to it I don't think I can do it. I'm not scared, I just can't bring myself to push us both to that next level. I make excuses like 'oh the yards a bit busy, I'll leave him till later'. I know him inside and out, but maybe that's my downfall. I think he would do better being started by someone who didn't know him and just made him get on with it. I know for a fact he plays me!
So I'm looking for recommendations on who I could send him to. I'm a quiet rider with good soft hands. My aim for him would be to compete BE and BS in the future but overall I just want a safe, happy horse who if he didn't meet expectations affiliated, could do a nice dressage test and the odd working hunter.
I know there is a nice, workable all rounder in him, I just need to find the right person to bring that out of him.
Thanks

Edited to add! I'm in Burnley, Lancashire :)

Mari

Visit site
Paula Holden at Inskip, Near Garstang, not near you I know but is brilliant. Has a small yard, events & does BD & treats every horse as an individual. Definitely worth a look.

WelshD

Visit site
I have no recommendations I'm afraid as I move in different circles however I do think your reasoning is very sound, I sent mine away and although I was worried about him I found someone I trusted 100% and who had no preconceived ideas of the pony and I do think that works really well, when we are close to the situation we arent always as businesslike and can be inclined to pussyfoot around!

Char0901

Visit site
Thank you Mari, I will look into her. I don't mind him going an hour or so away to the right person.
WelshD there has been a lot of pussyfooting around (unintentionally!) and coming to the conclusion that I'm not the right person to start him has been very hard but in the long run, for both our futures I know it's the right thing to do.

Queenbee

Visit site
I am not from your area but my general recommendations would be that if you are not comfortable with backing him yourself, send him to someone good and stipulate 'back and hack on' no schooling, get it hacking, bring him back and hack on for at least six months... at 3 and fresh backed don't even bother with the school for six months.

AppyLover

Visit site
I'm similar to you in almost every way. but I don't have the experience to back mine by myself so I have handed him over to my YO to teach him and then she is teaching me to work with him happily, no matter how hard I tried to tell myself you might have to send him away I couldn't even the thought of it would make me ridiculously sad and want to burst into tears. I know that may sound abit dramatic to some but he changed my life completely for the better and an actual reason to get out of bed in the morning :)

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Personally, I would wait another year, just doing bits and pieces with him. My mare was both too small and didn't have the right attitude age 3. She was so naughty and even age four she could be very challenging. However, I was forced to wait another year and am only now properly starting her aged 5. I did back her very lightly last September, but then she did nothing until about a month ago. I don't agree with backing horses age 3, even though I have done it many times in the past. I have learnt a lot since then and I think they should be at least 4. You might find his attitude has mellowed in a year or even two and he might be a breeze for you to do yourself.