Sending a horse to the Vet School

kirstyfk

Visit site
My horse is going to the Dick Vet in Edinburgh tomorrow and just wondering what to send him off with. As we don't know whats wrong with him we don't know how long he will be there for. We have been told they are given basic rations which is fine as he only gets a scoop of pony nuts anyway. He obviously needs his passport but what else should he go with?

I gave him a bath and tidied him up today. He probably thinks he is going to a competition tomorrow
frown.gif

EmmaC78

Visit site
I would tend to take as little as possible. When my horse was at Glasgow vet school I don't think they even wanted his head collar. I would just take a very light rug if he tends to feel the cold and that would be about it.

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
If you have am aterial headcollar, they are better than leather ones with lots of metal bits on, as if he is being anaesthetised or anything they are not particularly good!

just as an extra point
smile.gif

glenruby

Visit site
Send a rug only if thats what he usually wears when stabled. Also make sure you take your lead rope home with you, those things walk you know!

kirstyfk

Visit site
Thank you everyone

He stays out and has been rugless for the last 2 nights. I will put in his fleece and maybe his sheet as well.

kirstyfk

Visit site
So should I take him with an old head collar and lead rope? All our head collars are leather. I don't think he will be anaesthetised, well I hope not.

canteron

Visit site
When my horse went to Newmarket they disgarded headcollers and led everything around in chiffneys! I think they use their own headcollers/tack if needed so suggest you don't take anything too precious.

Butterbean

Visit site
When my horse was in Leahurst they only used their own rugs, headcollars etc, didn't want me to leave anything for him.

Queenjude

Visit site
They use their own headcollars so you shouldn't have to worry about getting your one getting damaged. But i'd take rugs if he's used to having one.

nicnag

Visit site
Ditto queen Jude, my mare was in Dick vet last year for scinitigraphy. I was asked to leave her tack but also stood with them while they labelled it and wrote a description of my saddle etc. I left her rugs as it was in November and she was clipped. I offered to leave feed but they said they would provide that, although she got very little when I saw her being fed. I took her travel boots and headcollar away as they said the head collar would go missing. They have a big collection of rugs as well so could use their own if need be.
Edited to correct spelling!

Chestnuttymare

www.ipcmedia.com
yeah i got told to take my head collar home as they worry about things going missing. The stables are lovely and constantly skipped out. They are so well looked after. My girl was really off her food as she was worried and the head groom made her a nice bran mash to tempt her. They were so kind.
They have changed visiting times, when mine was in, i could go anytime and stay as long as i wanted as long as i didn't get in the way. Now i think they are quite strict about when you can go in.