Sending a saddle abroad

Chuffy99

Visit site
Have looked at previous posts but lots of conflicting advice. From people who’ve done it successfully how did you get paid and send a pricey saddle to the US, I’m not daft and know about scams but they can be so clever so would like to hear success stories and a rough idea of postage.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
I only send saddles abroad on the basis that they go to another UK address of someone known to the buyer, and are sent on to the buyer after inspection there and at their own risk and expense. The risk is far too high to take the responsibility of shipping it, IMO.

Wheels

Visit site
I have sold to the US and it was a bit of a faff and UPS were blinking awful but we got there in the end!

I wouldn't do it again

CMcC

Visit site
If you sell through eBay you post to a UK address and only pay UK postage. EBay then arrange postage on to wherever it is going. I sold a saddle to Finland and it was a very easy process.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
If you sell through eBay you post to a UK address and only pay UK postage. EBay then arrange postage on to wherever it is going. I sold a saddle to Finland and it was a very easy process.

The problem with eBay is what happens if the buyer says they aren't happy with it. eBay can simply decide to refund the buyer, or you can end up responsible for return shipping costs. Same with PayPal unless you get paid as 'friends and family'. That's why I insist on it being checked in the UK before being sent on at the buyer's cost and risk if it's a heavy and expensive item.

CMcC

Visit site
The problem with eBay is what happens if the buyer says they aren't happy with it. eBay can simply decide to refund the buyer said:
Fair point, hadn’t considered the return issue.

Mynstrel

Visit site
We sold one to Norway and the buyer arranged the postage, all we had to do was parcel it up and give her a collection address. Think it was cheaper buying it from their end. Took photos before and when it was packed as proof of condition but it all went well.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
The problem with eBay is what happens if the buyer says they aren't happy with it. eBay can simply decide to refund the buyer, or you can end up responsible for return shipping costs. Same with PayPal unless you get paid as 'friends and family'. That's why I insist on it being checked in the UK before being sent on at the buyer's cost and risk if it's a heavy and expensive item.

this

I sold a saddle to the US and exactly that happened. They said they weren't happy with it, made up a story about it being mouldy and so ebay refunded and I was responsible to pay the return if I wanted it back, even though the global shipping thing was used to send it out there.
Fortunately I was later able to prove the buyer was pulling a fast one as there was nothing wrong with it at all but it was bloody annoying at the time and I wouldn't do it again, in fact i no longer send anything abroad after that.

Chuffy99

Visit site
Thanks for the replies, I’ve done the Finland saddle where they paid and arranged for the courier, that was a doddle. Off to google escrow