Sending Away, Who Feels Guilty?

Elsbells

Visit site
I'm sat here, it's late and I should really be in bed asleep, relaxed and relieved of all my worries as my pony went to his lovely loan home today, but I'm not. Instead I feel dreadful, I feel guilty and sad too!?

As some of you know from my previous posts, I've badly broken and displaced my wrist resulting in a plate and no less than 11 screws! It's healing but a slow job and I've been told it will take a year to completely heal and may never be 100%, So being Mrs sensible and not able to work for 3 months at least, being self employed so livening off hubbys earnings, I decided to sell my little project pony and if not sell, loan out for the good of my wrist my income and for that of the pony.

I ultimately decided not to sell although there were good offers and instead loan him to a member of my club who I trust, thinks horse wise like me and who needs a loan until the spring when a new horse will be purchased. It's a lovely location on her own land, 50 minutes from us and he will have company.

We dropped him off this afternoon, he behaved impeccably as he always does, this pony is golden and deserves the best, but now I'm feeling guilty! He trusts me and does as I ask and I have visions of him stood on a hillside and wondering why I've not brought him home. He got upset when his trailer was pulled out of the gates and whinnied loudly, very unlike him so that didn't help!

I can take him back whenever I like and I'll get updates and pictures, plus I can go and see him whenever I like so what's wrong with me?! I lost my mare in December last year a decision I struggled to come to terms with, this pony was bought as a distraction during the summer as the inevitable approached andI owe him loads as he kept me sane, we've had so much fun and we have become bonded.

Who else has felt like this or is it normal? At my age perhaps I shouldn't be such a baby and need a good kick?!

redapple

Visit site
You have nothing to feel guilty about! You've treated him exactly as a caring mum should! Found him a great new home, where he has everything to be happy. Of course you will be sad, but there's definitely no reason to feel guilty. And if in spring you still miss him and your wrist is OK you can have him back, it's not permanent. I hope you feel better soon :)

crabbymare

Visit site
Nothing to feel guilty about, its very normal for a horse to whinney when they are in a new place, they are checking out what other horses are around and what else is in the area. If you had just moved him there to be in a new field and were going to be doing him yourself then you would not feel guilty, and he will probably have his lovely loaner to train to how he wants things done and will be happy when they appear with a treat and take him exploring the area. Just try to relax and let yourself heal, and look forward to having him back in spring when your arm is better :)

cobsarefab

Visit site
You don't need to feel guilty at all. You've done the best thing for both you and him and I bet once he gets there he'll be having a whale of a time in a new and exciting place. :)
Hope you start to feel better soon, and that the wrist gets better quickly.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I put mine away to be backed so she was only away 6 weeks but I felt horrendously guilty.
Try to think of the positives such as the fun he and his rider will have and the updates you will get.
Hope your wrist heals quickly.