Sending away...

Baileysno1

Visit site
Hi I am toying with the idea of sending my horse to my trainer for the week we are away on holiday, wondered whether anyone had ever sent their horses away for schooling and what the experience has been like.

I'm on DIY livery so he will probably have to go somewhere as it'll be over Xmas and I don't want to put on anyone. My trainer is fab and she has ridden him during lessons so I know what she rides like, its just it will cost a small fortune and I'd like it to be worthwhile if you see what I mean, although I'm not expecting miracles, either that or he just has a weeks holiday on full livery.

Thoughts???

samp

Visit site
Depends on the age of the horse, it is still needed educating then I would. However, if not but more ticking over I would give them a lttle break

KatB

Visit site
I personally wouldnt for a week, as anything I want my horse to be taught, I want him to do with me on his back, not someone who rides better/differently to myself. IMHO, I would give him a week off and use the money you would spend on lessons for yourself.
smile.gif

Bananaman

www.teamtorrent.co.uk
Another no from me too.
Coming from the other side of the fence, as a trainer, you can't expect the horse to make a huge amount of progress in a week, especially Christmas week as your trainer is surely going to want a couple of days off herself.

IMHO your money would be better spent on paying someone at the yard to look after him for you, therefore not disrupting his routine and then have some extra lessons when you're back.
smile.gif

Skhosu

Visit site
nope. My pony went away for 3 weeks when I broke my collarbone and came back with holes in his sides from spurs and a defeated attitutude, he was permanently affected by it.

tigers_eye

Visit site
I had a good experience of this back a while - it was half term at school and we sent my pony away for the week whilst we were skiing. We sent her to my normal trainer. However I completely agree with Bananaman that the Christmas week is probably the worst to pick for this kind of exercise. Your trainer will probably short-staffed on the yard and I doubt your horse will get ridden as much as if you picked a different week!

jennystreek

Visit site
I broke my ankle in the summer, and then had various work courses to go to, so i sent my horse to a professional event rider in the weeks that i couldnt ride / be around (he is also on DIY - wouldnt want anyone else down the yard to ride him). However, I wanted to keep eventing him at weekends and so needed to make sure that he was with a competent rider that would prepare him for the events. I have to say that she worked him really well and improved him, and it was well worth the money, although was a small fortune (£20 per day)!! Not sure if i could justify doing the same over xmas (ie with no major events coming up) - maybe its something you need to get your trainer to be honest about - ie, how much he would get ridden

magic104

www.jc-countryside.co.uk
I would not bother for a week, hardly going to make any difference. I sent a horse away from Feb to May only for her to come back with Occult Sarcoid's which may have been triggered by stress, though on every visit she seemed chilled & happy. It would not stop me sending a horse away but a week is not going to achieve much, you may as well save your money & give him a holiday.