Sending horse away for schooling - yay or nay?

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
It looks like I'm going to be working over the other side of the UK for 8 weeks this summer which rather ruins my plans with Pony!

I'm too far away (300 miles) to travel back on weekends to ride/train and I don't want her sat in a field getting fat.

Ideally I'd like to send her to an eventer who follows classical dressage principles and won't use gadgets - any recommendations? I'd prefer if it was within a 4 hour drive of Swansea but she can be sent further for the right yard. Money isn't really a problem, I can pay up to £400 a week or a bit more.

I'm not expecting miracles - if they can take her XC schooling up to 80cm and doing a semi-decent Prelim test by the end of it I'll be over the moon.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Why don't you take her with you? Must be a livery yard somewhere near where you're going to be, surely? Having said that, sending off for some proper grown up schooling can be just the ticket, IF you go to someone who knows what they're doing of course.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'd take her with you TBH.......... have a look around the local area and see what's around and/or ask for local recommendations. Would probably work out just as cheap in the long term? The advantage being that you could have instruction with her.

Just a suggestion: but are there any equestrian colleges in the area you're going to be working in?? Coz they might just be able to offer the facilities, and possibly the staff and/or instruction, that might just suit your purpose? And might work out a bit cheaper? The students wouldn't be there during the summer hols..........

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I did a 5 week residential course in 2001 and it was to far to travel other than at weekends, and I took mine to a pro for the duration. I did what others have suggested and chose a pro near to where the course was. It meant I could go on Sunday night, and have a lesson on Friday afternoon as well.

I would not have had time to "do" my horse, but as it was a pro yard I did manage to sneak out before breakfast to ride out so my horse was not just doing school work. He had best of all worlds, good schooling, me riding out on the open moors, lovely facilities, and I could concentrate on my work.

It was not until the last week they "caught" me sneaking back from a morning ride for breakfast, and when they found what I had been up to I was admonished, as apparently the course was residential just so we did not have any distractions as it was an intensive course. Ooops.

The Pro even took him to two competitions. That side of it was not as successful as I would have wished, but that was because the horse was a square peg in a round hole, and I guess having a pro do him for 5 weeks showed me that. That was when the horse became my OHs hunter rather than my event horse.

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Why don't you take her with you? Must be a livery yard somewhere near where you're going to be, surely? Having said that, sending off for some proper grown up schooling can be just the ticket, IF you go to someone who knows what they're doing of course.

I really want to take her but the job I'm going to do is very full on, expected 12 hour days, working 7 days a week. Realistically I'm not going to have time to ride even if she's kept on full livery.
I'm really worried about sending her to someone who's not going to rush her and throw on the draw reins/pessoa and start sawing on her mouth. I'd like to send her to my current dressage instructor but he won't take horses in for schooling as says it's mostly the rider who needs the teaching, not the horse (he has a point!).

I'd take her with you TBH.......... have a look around the local area and see what's around and/or ask for local recommendations. Would probably work out just as cheap in the long term? The advantage being that you could have instruction with her.

Just a suggestion: but are there any equestrian colleges in the area you're going to be working in?? Coz they might just be able to offer the facilities, and possibly the staff and/or instruction, that might just suit your purpose? And might work out a bit cheaper? The students wouldn't be there during the summer hols..........

I don't know about eq facilities where I'm going (Cambridge), but I can't take her as I'm going to be doing 12 hour days, 7 days a week. As ridiculous as it sounds, money isn't a factor in this - it's time :(. If I was being paid more by the job I'd be trying to send her to Carl Hester but think that would break the bank somewhat ;). And I don't think he'd be overly interested in an insane Sec D with an attitude problem.

I did a 5 week residential course in 2001 and it was to far to travel other than at weekends, and I took mine to a pro for the duration. I did what others have suggested and chose a pro near to where the course was. It meant I could go on Sunday night, and have a lesson on Friday afternoon as well.

I would not have had time to "do" my horse, but as it was a pro yard I did manage to sneak out before breakfast to ride out so my horse was not just doing school work. He had best of all worlds, good schooling, me riding out on the open moors, lovely facilities, and I could concentrate on my work.

It was not until the last week they "caught" me sneaking back from a morning ride for breakfast, and when they found what I had been up to I was admonished, as apparently the course was residential just so we did not have any distractions as it was an intensive course. Ooops.

The Pro even took him to two competitions. That side of it was not as successful as I would have wished, but that was because the horse was a square peg in a round hole, and I guess having a pro do him for 5 weeks showed me that. That was when the horse became my OHs hunter rather than my event horse.

Haha, bad luck getting caught! That does sound ideal though, I wonder if a set-up like that could work. Hacking out on moorland every morning sounds idyllic, I don't think I could come back to our pants hacking after that :p.

Shame about the horse not doing the job he was meant to, suppose it saved you wasting a lot of time trying to get him going though.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Haha, bad luck getting caught! That does sound ideal though, I wonder if a set-up like that could work. Hacking out on moorland every morning sounds idyllic, I don't think I could come back to our pants hacking after that :p.

Shame about the horse not doing the job he was meant to, suppose it saved you wasting a lot of time trying to get him going though.

Hi, it was ideal, as I did not have to ride. Other than my Sunday evening ride, and Friday evening, I did not have to go at all. I did not have to go then either, but it seemed silly to have all the training and not have a lesson or two too.

I only did the early rides now and then, the course was very busy, but it was a great relief when I was a fuzzy in my head and I go go out for a secret stolen blast! I think the trainers do not realise how much a ride means to a horse owner.

It was no worried about the horse, that is the Super Charlie Horse that went on to teach OH to ride. A much more important job than eventing with me. Charlie found his new role, and was worth his weight in gold in a way that he never would have been.

Arniebear

Visit site
If your coming to cambridge i can recommend a semi pro nearby who takes a very very gentle approach with babies and brings them on slowly and correctly he has ridden to 2 star and still events up to novice :)

ellie_e

Visit site
I sent mine to Tom Rowland in Cirencester, I'm based in Cardiff Junc 33 M4 and takes me 1.15hr to get there, can't rate him enough, even sent my new one to him for backing and he came with me down to Devon to view her. Super easy going, young guy who's already at 3* and has a beautiful yard and set up with 2 live in grooms.

Pigeon

Visit site
It's something I've considered a lot!! I think you'd (general you) get the most out of it if you could get lessons from the same trainer though.

nuttychestnut

Visit site
Sent mine off for for 9 days whilst I was on holiday. Wow what a different horse, I honestly didn't believe I would have seen such a difference.
Thoroughly recommend her, but based in wiltshire so maybe a little too far.
Tallend in Cirencester do schooling livery.
IME the great trainers far outweigh the poor ones (in terms of numbers)

ihatework

Visit site
Are you sure you meant £400 per week. That's mega bucks!

I can recommend a small female eventer, competing 3*, who is very good & trustworthy- perfect to school on a pony. She will also have a youngster or two that will be doing unaff /90 opens that I'm sure yours could combine with. Located South Gloucestershire

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
Hi, it was ideal, as I did not have to ride. Other than my Sunday evening ride, and Friday evening, I did not have to go at all. I did not have to go then either, but it seemed silly to have all the training and not have a lesson or two too.

I only did the early rides now and then, the course was very busy, but it was a great relief when I was a fuzzy in my head and I go go out for a secret stolen blast! I think the trainers do not realise how much a ride means to a horse owner.

It was no worried about the horse, that is the Super Charlie Horse that went on to teach OH to ride. A much more important job than eventing with me. Charlie found his new role, and was worth his weight in gold in a way that he never would have been.

That does sound like the exact set-up I need, lots to think about :). I'm glad that your horse went on to do a more important job, he sounds cherished.

If your coming to cambridge i can recommend a semi pro nearby who takes a very very gentle approach with babies and brings them on slowly and correctly he has ridden to 2 star and still events up to novice :) Also he has backed my friends 2 welsh Ds with attitude! So has experience in that field!!! :)

Yes please! She has attitude in buckets, though does manage to keep a lid on it most of the time ;).

I sent mine to Tom Rowland in Cirencester, I'm based in Cardiff Junc 33 M4 and takes me 1.15hr to get there, can't rate him enough, even sent my new one to him for backing and he came with me down to Devon to view her. Super easy going, young guy who's already at 3* and has a beautiful yard and set up with 2 live in grooms.

Brill, thanks for the recommendation :).

It's something I've considered a lot!! I think you'd (general you) get the most out of it if you could get lessons from the same trainer though.

Yep, I think lessons are going to be a must. I keep trying to persuade my dressage instructor that he really wants to take mine on schooling livery for 8 weeks and he keeps saying no as I won't be around to ride her as she improves.

Sent mine off for for 9 days whilst I was on holiday. Wow what a different horse, I honestly didn't believe I would have seen such a difference.
Thoroughly recommend her, but based in wiltshire so maybe a little too far.
Tallend in Cirencester do schooling livery.
IME the great trainers far outweigh the poor ones (in terms of numbers)

I've not heard great things about Talland - lots of draw rein use. Tbh there is no 'too far' for the right fit for my mare, I'll just have to pay for her to be transported professionally if it's over 4 hours away.

Hi there :) we take horses for schooling and are about 1 HR from Cambridge so would be close enough for you to still come down for lessons in free time. A lot less than £400 pw too ;)

Www.darlingdressage.co.uk

Ooh, thank you! I'll have a look and get back to you :).

Are you sure you meant £400 per week. That's mega bucks!

I can recommend a small female eventer, competing 3*, who is very good & trustworthy- perfect to school on a pony. She will also have a youngster or two that will be doing unaff /90 opens that I'm sure yours could combine with. Located South Gloucestershire

I did actually mean £400/week - is that a bit too much? The guy who 'broke' (hmm) my mare before I bought her charged £200/week so I assumed that for a good professional setup it would cost a lot more. Cheaper is always good though, OH wasn't impressed that I'd be spending nearly 8 months rent on the horse!

Pony is actually about 15.1hh :eek:. Yes please to the recommendation though, Gloucestershire could be do-able for a weekly visit if I can wrangle Sundays off :).

oldie48

Visit site
I'm a little bit surprised by your dressage trainer's attitude as my trainer will ride my horse regularly and is having him for a month while I'm away in NZ. I've never hesitated in paying a professional I trust to bring on a youngster, or for that matter, train a more established horse. It's worth every penny and when something goes wrong and my trainer tells me, not to worry because the horse tries that with him too, it's a huge confidence boost!

VRIN

Visit site
Why don't you send her to a pro near to where you will be and then even with the intense hours, its summer and there is always the odd time when you will be able to hop away - it may be a nice welcome break!

Llee94

Visit site
I sent my mare away for a weeks schooling with a 4* event rider whilst I was temporarily out of action with a broken collar bone last year. He charged £185.00 per week and that included everything which I thought was very reasonable.
When I did work experience for Mary King about 5 years ago, I'm sure she said she charges about £200 per week (although I could have heard her wrong and it was a while ago so her prices may have changed!). So going on that, £400.00 per week does sound extremely high!

MyDogIsAnIdiot

Visit site
If you cant take her with you then I say yes :D
and £400 PW!!!! Jebus!

:eek: I've never looked at sending a horse away for schooling (always done it myself) so have no idea of cost :p.

http://www.meadowlaneequestrian.com/home.html

Heres a link to his website, he teaches to so could teach you whilst she is there! Id happily send my horse to him and intend to when im away!! Very small quiet rider :)

Brill, thanks :).

I'm a little bit surprised by your dressage trainer's attitude as my trainer will ride my horse regularly and is having him for a month while I'm away in NZ. I've never hesitated in paying a professional I trust to bring on a youngster, or for that matter, train a more established horse. It's worth every penny and when something goes wrong and my trainer tells me, not to worry because the horse tries that with him too, it's a huge confidence boost!

This is probably going to come out wrong, but...my DR instructor really doesn't like riding my mare. He will, and has in the past, but will only get on if something is going seriously wrong. He's 6ft4 and my saddle is a bit small for him and he finds her hard work and argumentative (well, if the cap fits!). If I was able to ride/lesson with him twice a week he'd take her on but says it'd be pointless to improve her if I don't know where the buttons are when I get her back.

Why don't you send her to a pro near to where you will be and then even with the intense hours, its summer and there is always the odd time when you will be able to hop away - it may be a nice welcome break!

I think that's going to be what I do :).

I sent my mare away for a weeks schooling with a 4* event rider whilst I was temporarily out of action with a broken collar bone last year. He charged £185.00 per week and that included everything which I thought was very reasonable.
When I did work experience for Mary King about 5 years ago, I'm sure she said she charges about £200 per week (although I could have heard her wrong and it was a while ago so her prices may have changed!). So going on that, £400.00 per week does sound extremely high!

Blimey, £200 a week seems really cheap to me :eek:. I suppose it's because the guy that broke my mare charged about that and it wasn't the most professional of setups with the most, erm, sympathetic of riders. Wouldn't have been my choice anyway.

£400 is mega money!! My instructor had my horse for a few weeks last summer whilst I was on holiday and he was much less than half of that figure (and we're talking 4* eventer)!

:eek:. I seem to be out of touch on costs :p.

elliebrewer98

Visit site
We sent my youngster away to have some dressage schooling with my instructor whilst I was at SCOPE this summer. I personally found it really helpful because it gave me a different perspective on how to ride her - especially helpful as I'd only had her a few weeks at this point!

So yes, if you've found someone you're happy with, I'd go for it: everyone seems to have different tricks and techniques to help you get the best out of your horses. And as it'll be for a few weeks, hopefully the rider will get to know your mare and be able to help even more so :)