Sending horses and ponies away to be schooled.

Tinkerbels

New User
Visit site
Hi!

I was just wondering, has anyone sent the ponies away to be re schooled? has this had a positive affect? and would you recommend it? x

_daisy_

Visit site
firstly welcome to the forum.

both my 4yo (Chantin) and mums 7yo (Flighty) went away for schooling early this year.
Chantin stayed 10wks in total - the difference was amazing however she needed flatwork training as she was only backed last year. We attempted our 1st dressage test after the stint of schooling and we managed a respectable 63% (and that was after jumping out of the arena!)
Flighty however is more established in her paces but after last year off due to injury etc she went for some intense schooling for 4weeks. She is a totally different pony. She is never going to be a super dressage pony but my instructor made some big break throughs with her and she is much better with her flatwork. Again she did her 1st dressage test after her schooling and got 4th think with about 69%

Chantin went away for a week last year to another instructor - she did move forward in her training but nothing like she has done this year. This could either be down to her maturity, instructor or both.

I think it comes down to the place you send your horse at the end of the day and what you are expecting at the end. Also please dont under estimate the cost of such training. We were paying £150 p/w p/h.

Helena88

Visit site
yes i have. and although he improved, the main thing it helped with was me coming to a decision that he was not the right horse for me and the best thing would be to sell him.

it cost £330/month and was at a SJ competition/breeding yard

spooks

Visit site
my horse came back on sunday after being away for 4 weeks . he is an ex kings troop horse and hadnt been schooled and was rushing his fences. i have seen 100% improvement and he now trots over any height of fence you point him at, he will canter if you ask him without charging at it either. he is also a lot more supple. i to was paying 150 per week and it was well worth it. picked him up on sunday and took him to a show where he was placed 2nd and 4th in his jumpng classes

jinglejoys

Visit site
Malaga's off to "boarding school" as soon as the proposed trainers finished recovering from a broken arm and a heart attack (The things people will go through in order to get out of backing a mule over hear!
grin.gif
)
He's going because I don't have the experiance to back him myself and I can follow it up with riding lessons from the trainer.

dieseldog

Visit site
I was thinking of selling mine lat year so he went to brat camp for a couple of weeks, but came back so nice I kept him!

Skhosu

Visit site
Mine went, and came back with spur marks down his sides and no mouth left
frown.gif

He was a bolshy young pony, but without much badness in him. H e only went because he jumped out of the sandschool with me and I came off and did my collarbone.
Before he was unschooled but responsive and he was never the same.
Get recommendations first!