Sensitive girth area, to clip or not?

Minnies_Mum

Visit site
My new pony has had girth galls in the past (ex RC pony, I've known him for 14 years). He has quite a lot of almost loose skin in the girth area, although he's not overweight, and the areas that have previously been rubbed are sadly still thickened and hairless (about 20p size).

He's ridden in a very basic girth (just a normal nylon one) with a synthetic fleecy sleeve (as easier to keep really clean than a sheepskin one). I tried an elasticated girth and that rubbed a bit, so back to the original.

He's gotten rather hot and sweaty out riding this weekend (I know it's been rather warm for this time of year!) but if he continues to get sweaty over the autumn I'm not sure about clipping. He's not been clipped in the last 14 years that I've known him but is it better for his girth area to stay cooler and less sweaty, or should I leave the hair on for protection?

What are people's experiences of sensitive bellied beasties?!

CrazyMare

Visit site
I would clip, so the area dries better, and its easier to keep an eye on.

I also use non elasticated leather girths on mine and find these help minimise issues, as its a natural material, and is easy to keep clean and soft.

If it still rubbed, I'd put sheepskin rather than synthetic fleece next to clipped skin.

Burnttoast

Visit site
Ditto all of the above.

If you need a sleeve, get a good quality one, not one of those awful thin ones that rotate round and round the girth as you ride :eek: and preferably at least two, so that you can keep them scrupulously clean.

aradiagreen

Visit site
I'm having problems with my boy. He's 4 and he was only backed when I got him. I've used leather and neoprene girths but both made him sore. I am currently using a thorowgood synthetic (dressage) girth and he's still sore.

He gets REALLY sweaty. And in the creasey bit of skin behind his legs he gets crusty dry scabs.... Not open sores. Would a sheepskin cover help do you think? Is this like a girth gall???

He had a sore bit once where the skin had come off (more my experience of a girth gall) and I rode him bareback until it healed and it never happened again!