sensitive stomach after worming

mandwhy

Visit site
My haffy seems to have a bit of a sensitive stomach, which has got worse after being wormed about 2 weeks ago, and the grass coming through may not be helping. It mainly seems to be girthiness and not wanting to be touched on the sides especially prior to feed time (she lives out so always grazing).

I think a probiotic or yeast might be helpful but I don't know which one?

My instructor recommended alfalfa but I deliberately cut that out to cut down spookiness and I think it did make a difference. I'm also not sure how suitable it would be over the summer as she will be a fatty (although a little too slim at the mo)?

At the moment she has hay chaff, hi fibre cubes and micronised linseed plus mag ox and Agnus Castus, oh and salt! I swear this will be the last supplement I add, haha... don't want to get carried away but genuinely think this will help :)

mandwhy

Visit site
I do get worm counts but still worm for tape worm and encysted red worm. I used equest pramox.

Being a regular member here I have thought of ulcers. I feel she is quite low risk (although of course it is not impossible) and it is normal to have upset flora after worming I think.... Probiotics wouldn't exist otherwise!

Thanks for the protexin recommendation be positive I have heard of that before. I think it is a bit more expensive than the others but actually not too bad.

She is having teeth vaccs and annual health check later today so I can mention it to the vet.

Coblover63

Visit site
Equest Pramox is just about the strongest wormer you can use and there are a lot of horses that react badly to it. One of mine went footy after it so I don't use it any more, I prefer to use plain Equest and then a separate tapewormer about a week later. A course (tub) of Pink Powder will help her tummy settle. Can also be used in advance, through and after worming for the next time if you think she may react again.

mandwhy

Visit site
Thanks Coblover there are certainly some harsh chemicals in these wormers! I may do that next time then :)

Cobsgalore - I did look at charcoal as well! I wonder if there are any supplements that combine the two...

mandwhy

Visit site
Haha I read that last night when I should have been sleeping, I especially liked the bit about the monkeys eating charcoal, the video is great!

"they really go after the charcoal. Bigger monkeys try to take charcoal away from smaller ones. And they come down from the trees to grab pieces much bigger than they can possibly eat, carrying it off with two hands.”