separation anxiety

impresario08

Visit site
Any advice much appreciated :)

My horse is in a group of 3 who are very strongly bonded. Whenever I bring him in from the field he won't stop calling. I have tried some groundwork with him - free schooling temporarily distracts him but he will still stop and call.

I tried some groundwork with him in terms of moving his feet, trying to teach him to lower his head etc to help with lowering adrenaline but with not much success with helping the calling. The only way I can reduce his noise is if I have a bag of treats which I keep shaking in my pocket to get his attention and using the treats to do stretches with him. However I can't do this all the time!!!

I know the calling is a natural response from being taken away from his herd, but it's quite loud and the YO lives on site - I wouldn't want it to start annoying her. He also has a stable mirror. Even when his next door neighbour is in the stable, if his field mates aren't in sight he still gets stressed.

Any help?!

epeters91

Visit site
Could you maybe try putting him in a field on his own for a week or so? He will be worse to start with but if he can get used to being on his own maybe he won't be so reliant on his field mates? My two get seperation anxiety sometimes but they've had to get used to being seperated when one comes in to work or if they have to be stabled both run around for a while so I normally give them a feed in the field to distract them to begn with, treat ball works well too maybe stay with him until he settles. Once he's learnt he can be on his own maybe he won't react as strongly when he's brought in to do work? Fingers crossed for you good luck!

Gentle_Warrior

Visit site
you need to get him to see you as one of his herd. I have a kind of issue when I separate my 2 old boys. However, which ever one I have out of the field with me does not call or do anything other than what I ask. However, whichever I leave in the field is clearly not happy, will call, and generally whinge all the time. The trouble with only 2. However I will still hack and do what I need to with the one I have out. They are a funny couple .... so sweet though and then ignore eachother as soon as they are back together as if to say ' bovered'