Separation anxiety!

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
It’s a long one so appreciate anyone who’ll read and offer advice!

My gelding has always been wary of other horses. I don’t know much on his history, but from 4-7 he lived in a herd and was quite badly bullied. I know nothing before the age of 4, but his old owners apparently picked him up from garden allotments! I bought him as a 7yo and spoke to owners about individual turnout and we both agreed this was best. I’m pretty sure his fear comes from minimal interactions with other horses, and any other interactions to be quite nasty. He used to be a bag of nerves if another horse came near. 6 months ago he shared a paddock with a similar horse and they got on well, which helped his confidence loads :)

Anyway, we moved yards in Nov and he’s made lots of friends, which I’m really happy about! However, he’s really taken a shine to one of the mares and they’ve basically become inseparable; to the point of my lad becoming an absolute moron to handle.

Harley is fine in the field by himself, fine to lead, fine to ride. He’s fine when they’re both in the stable block together (they’re neighbours in the stable) but when he’s in the stable without her, he’s an absolute nightmare. Even tied up he just whinnies for her, stamps on the ground, paces about etc. If he’s loose he’ll just trot round the box and wind himself up. The minute he sees her in the stable, he’s fine. Doesn’t even acknowledge her necessarily.

It’s getting really ridiculous now as I can’t crack on with the jobs in hand. Takes me half an hour to groom (he’s fully clipped so all I do is run a brush over him and pick his feet) and tack up.

The horses all get brought in at 3:30ish, but if I’m hacking out, I’ll get there for half 2 so I’ve got time. I can’t bring the other horse in as she’s not mine and it’s not fair on her to come in just because mine can’t cope. It’s literally just her he wants as (most of the time) 2other horses are in as their owners hack out too.

Any advice would be great before he becomes dangerous!x

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
They’re not even turned out in a field together😂 just neighbours! They’re in their winter fields at the moment so it might be different when they move for summer. Will talk to YO about them being seperate for summer.

Showing4SAFE

New User
Visit site
I see your dilemma! My pony became very attached to a horse at a different yard (their fields sort of join onto ours) and if he couldn't see said pony he'd whinny and pace. This was so out of the blue as he has never gotten attached to any horses before, even his field mates or horses in his stable block and is quite happy to be turned out completely by himself without any other horses nearby. The only thing which stopped him being so obsessed with this horse from the other yard was turning him out with the other geldings (as he was on individual turnout post-injury when this happened). He is now really settled with them and doesn't call for the other one, even when he's back in his stable or tied up at the fence.
If that doesn't work, cold turkey may be the only option - swapping his stable with someone else so that he isn't near the mare anymore.

It's a tricky situation, I hope you can get to the bottom of it!

https://www.facebook.com/showing4safe/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
It’s individual turnout over winter, but they can communicate over the fences. Not sure about summer as I’ve not been there yet, but I know it’s different to winter.
Only issue is he’s one of 2 geldings on the yard and other gelding already has a companion.

We want another horse, but that’s probably not going to happen for a few years.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Could he not go in with the other gelding and his buddy? The great thing is you know what worked for him at the last yard so hopefully you can mirror that at the new place. It sounds like he enjoyed having a mate in his field and is missing that now. I know you're not planning on another horse at the moment but could you loan a little companion?

Hazkirbo

www.instagram.com
Could he not go in with the other gelding and his buddy? The great thing is you know what worked for him at the last yard so hopefully you can mirror that at the new place. It sounds like he enjoyed having a mate in his field and is missing that now. I know you're not planning on another horse at the moment but could you loan a little companion?

Unfortunately other geldings companion is a very moody mare so wouldn’t want to risk it :((