Separation anxiety

Myotto

Visit site
Since moving to a new yard and having herd turnout for the first time, my 8 year old gelding has developed separation anxiety. He happily leaves the herd and walks calmly to his stable. However, within a few seconds he starts pacing round the stable, calling, occasionally bucking etc. He’s fine once the others come in.

He’s turned out with 2 other geldings and is next to a mares paddock. Neither of the geldings is stabled in the same block but the mares are stabled in his barn. It’s a full livery yard and all horses are in exactly the same routine every day.

I’ve started bringing him in about 20 mins before the others come in a few times a week. He seems to get a bit better each time but he still gets stressed.

I’m not sure what else I can try?

Melandmary

Visit site
I think they can be unsettled for a while when they move and if he has had individual turnout he will be loving the company. The fact there is a routine he will get used to it given time. The only things I can think of that might help given that he is coming in nicely is can you have a feed ball for him to play with in his stable while he waits for the others coming in if he is food orientated? You might already be doing that. If it was my horse I probably wouldn't be bringing in earlier yet as that changes the routine the yard usually has unless you need to bring in earlier. It can take a couple of months to really settle. Is it possible for him to come in after the mares who are in his barn?